questions from someone new to goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Pamela Jean, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Pamela Jean

Pamela Jean Well-Known Member

I live in Florida my name is Pamela.
    My Husband and I bought 10 acres a few years ago and we put a house for us and one for mom and dad we lost dad a year after we moved up here but he did get to enjoy that last year always wanted to move to the country.
    any way we have 2 mini horses and the mare is due any day now so soon to be three. 2 dogs. 2 rabbits. a flock of chickens. 4 parrots. 2 cats. I have been trying to talk mom into getting a dog to keep her company no luck. However mom and I took the kids to the zoo about 3 months ago. and she found a little nigerian dwarf she fell in love with so asked if they sell the babies. Husband said I am the only person he know that can go to the zoo and come home with one of the animals :rolleyes:
    any way we got the vet up had him fixed when he was a month old and now he is 4 months now for the question he still only has 2 bumps on his head about the size of my thumb at what age do they get horns nothing has broken through the skinis this normal?????? he takes a bottle starting to water it down mom wants to keep giving him a bottle as long as he will take it just water it down. I don't see a problem with that he eats lots of hay leaves and such gets nickermaker horse snacks after his bottle. and cheerios he thinks the cats are just funny looking goats as they eat with him and keep him company.
    Pam

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am sorry for the lose of your father, at least you were able to spend that last year with him. I have to say I have never heard of someone coming out of the Zoo with a animal :rolleyes: That is just too funny. :p The reasons he does not have horns, he was disbudded, so he will not get them. If someone disbudds their goats it is done about 2 weeks of age. Something you might think of, goats really do need a companion, so you might think about getting a buddy for him. Congratulations, on the addition.

3. Pamela Jean

sweet goats
    I don't think they disbud them all all of their goats have horns. wouldn't he have had marks on his head at one month if they had disbuded him he has no scars or marks on him also the bumps have grown just thought they would have come through by now.
    I do plan on getting more goats as soon as the right ones come along we plan on 5 or 6 to start with but right now the horses and cat keep him company
    Pam

4. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

If you don't think he was disbudded,then he is polled-naturally hornless-they have little bumps where horns would have been.If he was going to have horns,he would of had them a long time before now!-like a few days to a week or so from birth. :rolleyes:

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I agree. If he'd been disbudded, then there would still be marks of healing when you got him. And yes, at four months there should definitely have been horns there!

Look at the hair on top of his head near the bumps. If it is flat and straight, then he is naturally polled and you can count your blessings! If it is swirled around where each bump is then something is weird going on because he should have those horns by now. ;)

A caution on polled goats. I have heard that breeding two polled goats together doesn't produce a polled goat, it produces a sterile goat. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Sarah

6. Pamela Jean

mammawof3, Sarah J,
    how would I go about posting a picture of his head for you to see.
    he is a real sweetie loves to play with the kids. races around the yard with them and then races back to the porch and then does an I won dance and takes off again before they can even get back. stops to make sure they are following him and brings you the horse brush to give him a good brushing and loves to have his head brushed. He has a dog kennel to stay in when know one is around with him it has one of the step 2 playhouses in it for shelter and a dog kennel on the porch for sleeping in at night keeps him safe from night to critters. my niece plays house with him in the play house he likes to lay on the little play table an watch out the window when it rains there is a wagon in there with hay in it and I go get fresh branches and fasten them to the side of the pen with a chair in the corner under a big patio umbrella.
    Thinking I need to make another trip to the zoo. :p
    Pam

7. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

Go to my thread and some one just helped me on that question I works Great. the title of my thread is Help my pymgy has a strange bump. Good luck
    I realy would luv to see your lil guy

8. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Pictures...ummm...good question. I had to play with it a bit to remember!

You have to have the picture on the web - there are a lot of free sites out there. Then copy the url to the picture. Click on the "insert image" icon at the top of the "advanced" posting section here on the forum. It opens up a little pop-up at the top of your screen. Paste the url in there and click okay. It should bring up the picture for you when the message is posted.

Hope that helps.

Sarah

9. Pamela Jean

thanks all for pictures see the thread Pictures of my Prancer
    Pam