Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking around for some PYR puppies. Checking out prices and so forth. I found an ad close to me that has them for $100 no papers. I havent called about them. I went to our vets office to get my dog some food and saw someone local that had dogs and puppies. So here are my questions.
She has some that are AKC and some that are CKC (i think its ckc) I am only familiar with AKC. She has two males that are almost a year old. They are AKC and she wants $300 She has two females that are almost a year old from another batch that are CKC and she wants $250 for them. She has some puppies that were born Dec 3rd and they are all CKC. She wants $350 for them.
She has no farm animals just smaller dogs that the Prys watch over. She has fenced 10 acres that they walk the boundries.
Sooo.... I like the idea of the older ones BUT am concerned with them not being around farm animals. I dont have any animals yet either but am getting chickens in a couple months. I want to buy registured dogs so if I breed them the pups will have papers. I asked her why some were AKC and others CKC. She said that her males are AKC and She had a female that was AKC but got hit by a car and died. The other female was bought and suppose to be AKC but when she sent the papers in there was something about a grandparent wasnt what was on the papers or something and so AKC would not reg. it but CKC did. Makes me wonder about CKC.

Should I buy a reg. dog or should I get one with no papers from someone who has the dogs on a farm.
And should I buy a pup or should I get an older one? First I must do some fencing before I get one. I have two dogs fenced in a area for them about an 1/2 acre for them to run. I dont want to put a pry in with them. They have bad, bad habits. They like to kill things like cats, chickens, sm. animals. Plus my siberian husky is food agressive.
This woman said I should not just get one but get two. I agree two would probably be better but I am not getting two that are related. The two litters she has, both have the same father but different mothers.
opinions, suggestions would be helpful.
Susie

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Can I ask how much research you've done on Pyrs in general and these breeders specifically? I'll pass along some of my favorite research links before going any further. I could write a book but this would be a good place to start. This first link I think should be required reading for every first time LGD owner about what CAN happen (and almost everyone with LGDs has heard a story similar to this): http://www.lgd.org/stories/DaemonIntro.htm

Great training articles: http://shahbazinanatolianshepherds.com/tablecon.htm

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

http://www.canids.org/occasionalpapers/livestockguardingdog.pdf

I thought I knew of an other forum for Pyrs that had a lot of good LGD info on it, but can't find it. Maybe it morphed into this one:
http://toppooch.ning.com/

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
The first pair of Pyrs we had were both registered. What we didn't know was that the male came from a line with known heart problems. He dropped dead of a heart attack when he was only about a year and a half old. So definitely do some serious research before you get into this, especially if you are thinking of breeding.

Kathleen

·
Registered
542 Posts
CKC has looser rules for registration than AKC. They also accept many more breeds. They have an open stud book, unlike AKC which requires several generations of registered dogs in order to register a puppy. Both kennel clubs have disreputable breeders. I'm not trying to turn this into an argument over why X kennel club is better. Each individual breeder must be researched. I recently rescued a Pyr to guard my chickens and he is doing fine. Doesn't care about the chickens and keeps the foxes off the property. I believe whether or not a Pyr can guard chickens is on a dog by dog basis. I had to turn down a free Akbash that was offered to me because she went after them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information. I read all the links that were provided for me. They have made me rethink some things. I wont be breeding whatever I get now. I wont buy any that has not been raised with other animals unless they are puppies just leaving mom and then I know I will have to work with them for a while. AKC and CKC I will just have to research the owners as suggested before I choose. The only thing that I didnt like about the LGD's was that I have a house dog that follows me everywhere and I want her to continue to do that even when I am outside but from what I read it could be a problem letting her go with me to the animals that the LGD is watching over. I would be worried that they might hurt my house dog trying to watch out for whatever animals I may have.
Do any of you have a house dog and let it be around your LGD.
Susie

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Susie, if you have a house dog that you want the Pyr's to accept, it would probably be best to get young puppies and raise them with your house dog. They can be trained to accept working dogs such as Border Collies around their herds and flocks, so should be able to learn to accept a house dog, as well. The same applies to children, cats, and any thing else that you want them to accept. Start young, and they are more likely to do well with it. For the same reason, if you want them to protect your poultry, I would wait to get the dogs until you already have the poultry.

Kathleen

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I have had a number of rescue Pyrs that I've fostered and that I've adopted. I've never had a problem with the Pyrs and my house dogs. If anything it has been the other way around. It has often taken some time for the house dogs to tolerate the Pyrs. As long as the house dog is out in the barn area every day and doesn't pester the livestock, there shouldn't be major problems. You'll definitely want to get recommendations from people who have Pyrs from each breeder and meet as many parents, grandparents, relatives of the pups that you can. You might even ask your local rescue group if they've ever had problems with pups from the particular breeder that you're interested in. I know locally there is at least one person whose pups constantly end up with problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts