Questions for moms

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Zipporah, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Ok I have a screamer. :baby04: My little princess aka dd loves to scream and giggle about it.She does it until she is horse.Nothing is wrong mind you.She's just playing.I think she thinks she is singing since she beats on her piano while screaming,but I'm going deaf. :shrug: Then she giggles so about it I have to giggle too.She has discovered her voice now how do I get her to lower the volume? :cute:

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Zipporah

4. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Try responding in whispers. She'll have to quiet down to hear what you are saying. If that doesn't work I'd say try ignoring her. If she doesn't get a response it may not be so much fun anymore. And if she still screams, be patient. She'll find something more exciting to do, like unroll toilet paper/shred books/color on the walls pretty soon. :)

5. Zipporah

Thanks.I don't know why I didn't think to do that . :doh: I use to do that when the boys would cry.She is just so different :) in to everything :) and very vocal. :D

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

normal behavior. enjoy it. the screeching turns to words that turn hateful when the child hits puberty. i'm told they eventually become nice, usually.

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Ah I have a dd that was/is a sqeeler/screemer. She discovered her voice and it's been going ever since. And yes, she still can call all the dogs in the neighborhood with her squeel of delight and she does love to sing at the top of her voice. We have always patiently reminded her to lower her voice. Not sure it she'll ever grow out of it (dd is 8), but maybe someday with our persistance and patients she'll remember others ears aren't so tough. Reese

8. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

yep whispers are a cure all. Its funny what we don't remember when it is time to take care of issues. Our dd talked early and in paragraphs - our ds had a speech problem and we cherished every last little bit of communication we got out of him, now we can't shut him up - not that we want too.

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

They don't always turn hateful when they become teens.

10. rockinl

rockinl Well-Known Member

My little guy (12 months) spent from month 10 to month 11 doing an imitation of an air horn. I thought I was going to lose my mind. My DH and I decided to ignore it on purpose. We had to train ourselves not to turn our heads when he did it. Turning really quickly and making a bad face or saying "no no" :nono: was what we had been doing. It was instinctual to react to this scream because it was SO loud. About 2 weeks after we stopped responding, it was gone. I can't think of the last time I heard it. Thank goodness.

Good luck with the little shrieker!!!!

Kimberly

11. Zipporah

:D That what my ds said of her scream. :D

12. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

My DD came out screaming (literally) Dr even made a comment about how loud she was (it was 3 am . . .).

I don't think she shut up for the next 11 - 12 years. Then one day my DH and I realized she was no longer talking/singing/babbling nonstop. She's 22 now, and I'm very proud of her.

BTW - when she was in grade school we got a call because she thought it was fun to scream at the top of her lungs while in the playground. She has always been on the little side, but she sure had(has) the volume!

My little darling - who is now all grown up. She moved to Nevada a month ago, and I sure do miss her.

[​IMG]

Cathy

13. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

as a mom of 3....2 loud ones.....I say tell her you don't like it then ignore her. She will stop and she will know why she should. Then praise her once she stops.
    At 9 months she is still discovering things. At least she is assertive!

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My daughter used to sit on the swing in the backyard and sing 'opera'! LOL Kept the entire neighborhood entertained. Even at 5yo she had great breath control and sang from the diaphragm which gave her quite the volume. Sometimes I would hear a neighbor screeching 'QUIET" at the top of his lungs. :)

15. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

We always talked about "inside voices" and "outside voices".

Your inside voice needs to be much softer than an outside voice.

If you really need to make some noise, go outside ... although at 9 months, you will have some trouble with that. Maybe save this idea for later! :D

16. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a little screamer in my Nursery class. But, he only screams when Mom is there. She seems to respond well to it. :rolleyes:

No offense intended, but it does sound as if your reaction is encouraging her behavior. If it gets a good giggle everytime, of course she is going to continue doing it. Maybe you could practice soft singing with her, and looking a little bit less amused when she gets too loud.

mary

17. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Thought of another idea: Give her other fun voice options to copy. Try talkto her in silly cartoon voices, deep voices, scratchy voices, squeaky voices, etc...and see if she can copy you. She may enjoy this new game and it could be very beneficial in teaching her how to say new words when the time comes. :)

18. Zipporah

I try to ignore her screams the giggle fits well that's another story...I've had to leave the room when they followed by screams. :)

19. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

your giggling reinforces it as fun and something you like- start ignoring it. How do I know?

First time DD bit me when nursing I yelped and then laughed. SO she smiled up at me and did it again! (Who doesn't like to see Mom make a funny movement and then laugh, as you probably do when she shrieks?) Remembering all my dog training in that painful moment I pulled her away from the breast, said "NO!" sternly, and made sure I turned my face away before I laughed about it. End of bites.

Anyway you can't (nor need you be) so stern about the shrieks but DON'T in any way reinforce it such as letting her notice you turning toward her or jumping or giggling every time she does it.

20. Zipporah

Oh I do jump.Can't help it.Sometime she startles the bee jeevies out of me.This afternoon has been abit better.Maybe she is getting interested in something else.Seems to want to learn to crawl today.... :) :baby04: