Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
ttkillough said:
I live in zone 6 so where would I be able to find information on when to plant potatoes?

TT, I live in zone 8 where the average last frost date is around March 20 and traditionally people always planted by the Almanac which said plant potatoes on the old 12 days which is the first 12 days of the new year (I don't know why they call it old 12 days). I personally have found from experience that its useless to try and plant too early, they will only get knocked back by a freeze and a later planting will out perform. You can plant potatoes most anytime the nights are longer than the days for best production, I have planted them during the summer but production was scant. If you want really good tasting potatoes, plant in new ground and keep the soil on the acid side to prevent scab and eliminate chemicals. Be sure and get certified seed when you plant, this is very important.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.