questions about Wyoming

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caelma, May 4, 2006.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Due to my husband applying for a job and if he gets it we're
    Wyoming bound. (IF) Thought I'd ask some of the WY folks on the board.
    What can anyone tell me about the Evanston, WY and the Sheridan, WY
    areas. I have driven through both more than once.
    (Just drove through)
    Would like to know about the terrain, rental and property prices.
    Amounts of snow in the winter?
    General community atmosphere?
    And whatever else anyone in WY can tell me.
    Feel free to PM me. Thanks

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

There is a "reason" why Wyoming is the least populated state in the US.

I think its the far too often high winds.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

And no water and lots of snow and desolateness

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've visited Wyoming many times. You gotta love wind to live in Wyoming.

5. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I live in Wyoming and have we have no problems with wind. It really depends on your location.

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Wyoming has the highest per capita suicide rate in the nation. They say it's due to the wind. I think there are other factors.

Wyoming is one of the states that the current meth problem started in. Seems many of us oilfield trash wanted it to be able to work the long hours needed by the industry. I know there was times that I pulled 3-12s due to shortages. The problen is still real bad in Casper. I'm not sure of other areas.

Sheridan is in the north central part of the state, nesteled at the base of the Bighorn Mountains. Beautiful country but hope you love high elevation, lots of snow and a real short growing season there. It's right on the one of the main interstates through Wyoming so it get lots of tourists and transients though.

Evansville (sure you didn't mean Evanston?) is one of the slum suburbs of Casper. Casper is pretty much in the central part of the state. Flat high desert praire. We do have Casper mountain to the south of us (hardly callable a mountain. Casper's main industry is oil, so we have the associated people, problems, and a "boom or bust" economy. My only bumper sticker asks "Are you Pi$$ing it away this time?"

7. painterswife

Actually, Evanston in southeast Wyoming, close to Utah and Salt Lake City.
    Evansville, WY is basiclly part of Casper.

8. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

As a kid, we would visit my grandma and gramps in Elkmountain, WY. which is south of Sheridan, a ways. The main thing I remember, aside from the beauty of the area, is the mosqitoes. They would eat you alive if it weren't for those trucks that came by every evening spraying DDT. I don't know what they do about them, now.

9. painterswife

I have been here in Wyoming for 5 years. My husband has lived here all his life.

Wyoming has less people in the state then the city I came from. It is a state of extremes. Mountains and snow, prairies and wind. Short growing seasons and not alot of moisture.

The ecnomy is boom and bust. Pinedale and northeast Wyoming(Gillette) are are booming. We are close to Jackson and our 6 acre property( with a small house) is about to list for 800,000.00. Costs are high but there are no state income taxes. Property taxes very on the County. Water rights can be important. We could not afford to buy here but will be able to get 80 nicely treed acres in Eastern WY(Black Hills).

Jill

10. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I did mean Evanston the city near the Utah border.
    My apologies for the confusion.

11. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lived in Evanston several years, and would love to move back. Great hunting and fishing nearby. LOTS of snow, so get a blower or a plow. Aspen II would be the subdivision I would choose. Get a rare flat lot if you can, and beware houses built 1980-1982 as they were thrown up fast rather than well. Meek's Cabin is my favorite place to camp.

12. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Just how many politicians do you have in Wyoming? (To create all that wind) :D

Kenneth

13. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

It's just that Utah blows and Nebraska sucks! :dance: :nono: :dance: :nono:

14. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

There's an ole sayin that in Wy. they tie a log chain on a lamp post and don't even consider the wind to be blowing until the chain stands straight out, anything less is considered a mild breeze. LOl

15. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Used to drive thru Southern Wyoming; Evanston, Rock Springs, Laramie and Cheyenne on the way to Ks. each summer growing up...dry, NO growing season to speak of and windy (so is most of Ks., though). Scenery and view is spectacular, but then again, there's that li'l ol' supervolcano at Yellowstone to consider....Relation in Gillette says pretty rough towns there; oil business booming and all.

16. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I lived in Sheridan from 1999 until 2001. It's a beautiful place, that's for sure, and has really easy access to the Big Horn mountains, which has quite a few 14,000+ foot peaks, great high country and groomed snowmobile trails. Sheridan sits in what is called "the banana belt", which experiences slightly milder temps then most other parts of the state. It benefits from the warm chinook winds blowing down off of the Big Horns. Gardening is definately NOT out of the question.

That said, it is a pretty closed community. Decent jobs tend to be reserved for the born-and-bred Wyomingites. Even though Wyoming has more land per capita than 48 other states, owning a home with acreage is out of financial range for normal folks. Locals joke and say that the billionaires have pushed out the poor millionaires.....even though it's true.

Other places in wyoming, I cannot say much about, although locals considered Casper, Cheyenne, Rock Springs quite below them in class - if that means anything. They did have respect for Cody, Alpine and related ritzy areas, though. go figure.

All in all, they way I got treated in sheridan is why I now happily live in Montana.

-Barb in Montana

17. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their responses.
    After pc, phone and other ypes of research, we have decided Wyoming
    just wasn't for us. I've also been both places twice each.
    Hubby has decided this is not a move for us and will not be going to the interview. Thanks for the info and such.

18. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

What happened to the house you bought in Alaska and the other house you bought there? :shrug: And the job that was in Alaska?

19. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Does it really matter? Besides people move and change jobs all the time.
    Point is he was offered an interview for a great paying job and upon research and discussion we decided it wasn't for us and he decided he was not going for the scheduled interview.
    Money isn't everything :shrug:

20. Fourthistles

Fourthistles Well-Known Member

I am a Sheridan native (age 51) and I wouldn't encourage you to live here. Housing is obscene, way inflated , both rentals (if you can find one) and for purchase. My property taxes rose $200.00 this year because of real estate inflation. Sheridan is riddled with the good old boy network. It's very hard for anyone not part of their circle to succeed in business or, heaven forbid, bring in something like a new idea. Cost of living is high and wages are low. Why am I still here? House is paid for. Hubby and I will not be retiring in Sheridan. The setting is beautiful but that doesn't pay your bills.