questions about travelers checks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Aug 3, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

does anyone know how many come in a book. Its been a few years since I purchased any.

I know I want a lot of 20s because larger ones seem harder to use.

I was thinking it was $100 in a book
    but I don't remember what the $50 were.( $500?)

thanks

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

When I worked at the bank, American Express Trav. Checks came in $100 and $200 books for the 20's at our bank. Current inventory at your bank will determine what denominations you can get.
    Also, I saw in an advertisment the other day that American Express has a Trav. Check card now, kind of like a pre-paid phone card, you put whatever amount you want on the card and then just use it like a check card at stores, gas stations, restaurants, hotels etc.

3. pcdreams

excellent. Thanks. I could have just ask at the bank but I like to know before I get there, seems to confuse them less that way :shrug:

4. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Does your bank charge a fee for them? Remember, if you are a AAA member and use their credit card or cash, there isn't a fee for the checks.

5. pcdreams

yes they charge a fee. I don't recall what it is. No memberships or cc here. :) Just the paycheck to paycheck shuffle :)

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

With worldwide ATMs,and the ability to get cash back at a grocery store,why travelers checks? Just curious.

BooBoo

7. pcdreams

we don't have an ATM card. For us they always turn into trouble. One of us always forgot to log a withdrawl or a atm fee. For some reason a checkbook isn't the same. we always manage to get it right. LOL Yes I know its the same process, its just it seems we would forget.