Questions about pruning fruit trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Last Spring I planted two apple trees. One is like a three-pronged fork. The middle "prong" (limb) curves sharply, crossing an outer limb. The other tree has sprouted "suckers" at the base.

Questions:

1. At what point should I prune that curved limb? At the base where it comes out of the trunk, which would leave a forked tree?

2. Should I prune it leaving some limb?

3. Is now a good time to prune?

Also, how do I keep the deer from nibbling the tops of the limbs off? I'm thinking about putting wire cages around the trees (this will also keep my husband from mowing them down like he did my peach trees).

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

The middle limb is supposed to be your central leader is it the one curving? If so cut it back to a node[ bump] which goes straight up, then cut back the side branches a bit to let leader catch up. I use wire cages around my trees to. If you use them stake them with something or when its windy they can blow over and break tree. This year on my big peach iam going to put four fence post around preimeter then wrap chicken wire around it, that way when I go to pick I can open it to get at fruit.

3. Ravenlost

Yes, it's the central limb that is curving...badly. I didn't feel like it would be a good thing to cut it to the trunk...seems like that could make it easier for the tree to split down the middle. Looks like this tree will require major pruning. :(

Is this a good time of year to prune?

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Is this a good time of year to prune?

Yes, whenever the tree is dormant is a good time.

5. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

You dont want to cut the leader back to far, just to were it starts to curve, then the new node will grow upward.

6. Ravenlost

Could I possibly stake the limb to straighten it out? It starts to curve at the trunk. :(

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It would be worth a try to stake it. Make sure you protect the bark so your wire doesn't cut into it. Put gradual pressure on the limb. You will have to start with just a little correction and come back to increase it in small, frequent increments. Prob need to readjust every couple weeks. You can always cut it back later if it doesn't work.

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

just guessing, but the tree that has sprouted suckers may have been planted too deep. there is a graft node thingy near the roots. it has to be above the soil.

9. Ravenlost

Hmm...will have to check on that. Hubby planted it for me.