Questions About Mulching

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Clear Day, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Clear Day

Clear Day Member

Hi folks. I live in zone 3, and I have a question about mulching. In most parts of the country, heavy mulching is the gospel. I've read a few books about cold weather gardening, and many of them suggest foregoing mulch, since the warming rays of the sun don't reach the soil. At this point I don't mulch, except putting fresh compost on each year, and was wondering if there are any cold weather gardeners out there who do use (or have used) mulch, and if so what type and what was your experience? I hate to see the soil becoming so compacted. Thanks!

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

What they tell us around here is not to mulch until the ground has warmed.
    I have "raised" rows (just a few inches, free standing) that I cover in clear plastic as soon as the snow melts....heats up the soil quicker. Didn't matter this year....rain, rain, rain.... :grump:

3. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Darker colored mulch will absorb in the sun's heating rays vs. a light colored bark or straw mulch. If you use a dark colored mulch as in a good dark compost mixed in the few inches and more on top, it will allow you to mulch earlier and still let the heat into the roots.