Questions about Houston area

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Neyjour, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Neyjour

Neyjour Member

Received word today that I am being transferred to Houston in the near future. We are going to be looking for about 10 acres with a home or MH. We are starting to look around the Cleveland or Conroe area. I would like to be within an hour drive of the Houston International Airport. The more rural the better. We are seeking any info about the area, things to look for such as flooding, or any local real estate links. We have searched google and realtor.com so far.
    Any tips, advice or links would be great. Thanks everyone.

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure hope you like humidity and mosquitos. Too big a city for me. 1 hour commute is OPTIMISTIC, at best.

3. John_in_East_Tx

John_in_East_Tx Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you, but in my experience, an hour's drive from IAH, and at best you are still in suburbia.

4. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

You could look in the Crosby and Dayton area. Dayton has grown quite a bit since I have lived there. You might could find some land there, out toward Kenefick. Just don't get any river bottom land. The only time I can remember Dayton, itself, flooding is when Hurricane Carla (I think it was) came through in the 60's.

5. bonsai jim

bonsai jim Well-Known Member

Houston floods. It was once the bottom of a pre-historic ocean and wants to go home....

Check out www.HAR.com for listing search engines. Also, if you check out nickel ads and the Greensheet there are additional listings...

The radius you are looking for MAY get you into some more rural areas but be prepared to pay. Land prices in my area (Santa Fe/Alvin) have increased steadily over the last 10 years and are currently at about $8500/acre- 10+ acre plots with no infrastructure. Prices will be a bit higher where you are looking. Try also, Alvin, the Woodlands area, Spring...

6. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I'd quit....lol. Houston is probably one of the worst places I can think of to live. I start getting a headache from the polution about 40-50 miles out depending on the direction of the wind. If you want rural you're gonna need at least an hour commute....probably more. Good luck!

7. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Where is the job located? If on the Southwest side, Rosenberg is about 20 miles outside of Houston on Highway 59.

8. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

I wouldn't do the CROSBY area at all!! We live in Crosby.. and its nothing more than suburbia for Atasocita now.... over priced homes and HOA that restrict EVERYTHING..... land prices are outrageous and last time we checked we saw 1/4 acre going for $8,000!!!!

We are about 1 1/2 hrs east of IAH and I don' t know that 1 hr from IAH is realistic for country living... and then you have to factor in TRAFFIC!!

West side of Houston both N & S seems to have a VERY HIGH CRIME RATE and lots of problems with FLOODING during rains....

Avoid anywhere near the bayous and the ship channel as well.... (Highlands comes to mind - small town but YUCK!!) River property is nice but of course, it floods horribly ALL THE TIME!!

Try further north - Stay to the east....Cleveland and Conroe are very feasible.... traffic might be a pain in the AM's tho... Dayton is nice... Kenefick is cute... i'd give any one of those a try BEFORE I even considered heading south or west of Houston......

Good luck... if you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me... I'll be happy to answer anything I can!!!

9. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

My condolences ;-) Cleveland (or further up 59 toward Lufkin) would be
    a good bet. Conroe is growing very fast (actually just got back from there
    a half hour ago turning in a job application!) and imagine the land prices are
    skyrocketing. Further up 45 towards Huntsville would be a good bet (maybe
    Willis or New Waverly). All of these places would be just about an hour (or
    just a little more) from Bush Intercontinental Airport. The problem will be
    the commute into Houston for work...traffic SUCKS!
    james in Houston

10. cheryl-tx

cheryl-tx Well-Known Member

SIL lived in Shepherd, next town north of Cleveland, took her 1 hr to get to Bush on an average day, accident or weather delay could make it a 90 min drive. Fairly high and dry area with reasonable land prices. I have lived near Cleveland and in Splendora, some areas can be very wet, just be careful when looking for land. Now in New Caney, VERY wet and the prices keep going up. New Caney used to be rural, not anymore.
    Good Luck

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I was in Houston Wed. it was high 90's and humidity off the board. To prepare for summers I would go to a steam room every day.

12. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I would also suggest the Willis or New Waverly area. New Waverly has acreage that is still affordable. Be careful and do research though as there are lots of areas that flood and the closer you get to Lake Conroe the land is more expensive and prone to flooding. You could contact some realtors out of Conroe or Huntsville. The Thrifty Nickel usually has a lot of ads for land for sale in this area.

13. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

They don't measure the humidity in Houston in relative terms. They measure the humdity in SHIRTS - i.e. how many shirts must I bring along in the car so that I have a dry one to wear into work. Also remember Houston gets more inches of DEW each year than many places get rain.

Buy a good tennis racket to fight off the mosquitos. They get clearance from Houston Hobby airport.

14. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

You know Yucca, my sister lives out there around you wherever you are and she brags just like you do.....Quit hogging all the nice dry air and share some with those of us (Huntsville area) who have to put up with the humidity and the skeeters. :D

15. Neyjour

Neyjour Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will be working at the airport, but will not be working "normal" business hours, so hopefully the commute won't be complete hell. I am used to the heat and humidity as I have lived various places in the south, just never Texas. I can imagine that it will take some getting used to again, but I am so sick of the neg 20 degree weather up here in the winter. Thanks again.

16. tenacrewoods

tenacrewoods New Member

I live in Cut & Shoot between Conroe(west)Cleveland(east) 45 mins. from
    B.I.A. 6yrs ago when we moved here land was 2 to 3thous.acre now it's more like 4.5 to 8.5thous. and small subdivs. popping up everywhere. 4 in C&S in last 2yrs. I'd stay west of Trinity Co. (Our land is on edge of Montg.
    & Trnty) and was told if we lived in Trnty. we couldn't get homeowners Ins.
    because it's all flood plane area. But I was Born & Reared in Cleveland and
    loved it. I would consider west of Hwy 45 just north of Conroe or around
    Huntsville area.Nice rolling hills beautiful oaks & pines.

17. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

What about Huffman, Liberty or Dayton and then also Porter and New Caney (outskirts of those towns). I agree with the other person who said go north and East. The property is typically cheaper on the east side and it's dryer the further North you go. Don't let people scare you off of Houston. There are a lot of great people out here and you can find wonderful wooded acreage hidden away. There are great restaraunts and farmers markets etc.. I work on the far west side of Houston and I have 5 heavily wooded acres and there are people out there with 10+ acres and some even bigger 50+. My house is 30 min from work going home and it takes about 45 min going in to work in the morning. The fact that you are working on the North side of Houston and not having to drive downtown is great. There are all kinds of modular home builders on the far north side of town that sale country property along with the home. If you don't want to go that route I know you'll find something. I too am thinking about moving because my property floods. I didn't check it out well enough before I bought. I grew up on the East side of town and my entire family grew up in the flood plain. My aunt was the only one that ever flooded and she lived on the river. So, I wasn't afraid of it. However, I've learned my lesson and know that i need to talk to neighbors and see elevation maps and do lots of flood research first.

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

My BIL works for TSA at IAH and he commutes from the south Houston side - he has easy access to Beltway 8 and doesn't work ( as you put it) "Normal hours", and his commute is about 40 minutes. HE is looking at moving to the North side - Woodlands, Kingwood area. My wife, WIHH has three sisters - on the south side of town in Friendswood/ League City and the traffic is crazy. We have friends who commmute from west of Katy and its all goat and horse farms out there.
    Beware of Dayton/Kenefick/Cleveland - ask about sink holes, salt domes, etc.
    WIHH says she remembers when Conroe WAS rural ...as a matter of fact... she remembers when IAH was rural!!!