Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I am going to try for this, with recipies for "the recession-proof kitchen".

The question is, should I contact personell? The editor? Who?

And, might it be worth $25 an article?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
the editor

when I did this, the pay was poor, very poor. I'm thinking $.25 a column inch, but my memory is not real good!

·
Super Moderator
16,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$.25 an inch really IS poor: would there be any restrictions, usually, about selling the exact same column to other newspapers in other cities? $.25 an inch to 3-4 papers sounds a bit better.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
You're not going to make much at all with something like this on a freelance basis, and expect to be turned down if you approach with the idea, and then see the same thing in the paper done by an on-staff junior reporter in a couple of months.

Write the article and try to sell it as a completed piece -- you'll make more money if the editor has something concrete to publish, rather than an idea that he can use one of his salaried employees to complete. If there is a good response, the editor will ask you for more.

If you attempt to sell the same content to three or four publications, you'll be blackballed. No one will deal with you. Do not do this.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
What region of Kansas are you in?

At larger newspapers, you might want to contact the features section editor.

If you aren't near a large city, you might want to contact the managing editors of several smaller papers and create a mini-syndicated column that might sell the same article to several papers. That way, you could cut the price a bit to each paper, but put more money in your pocket. You'll probably want to create a personal tag for the columns and provide photos of the main recipe, if possible.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with Tracy, it sounds like she's on the ball with it. Newspapers aren't nearly as popular as they used to be, with people going online and TV and even radio being more up to date. Editors in my very small bit of experience are not fun people to talk to either. Think "Jonah Jameson" from the Daily Bugle in Spider Man and you'll actually have a really good idea what you're getting into.

Edit: Also, a search for your title brings up more than a dozen articles and blogs, make sure it hasn't already been done in your specific paper.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Terri,

Go for it. If the managing editor does not have a budget for it, check with the advertising manager. He or she may have a customer that will see the value in it right away and want to sponor it each week. You have to know that You think it is worth.

You may also find a newspaper advertiser that would be willing to buy your articles each week to wrap into their ads.

Remember us when you get to the top.

·
Formerly Kathleen in AR
1,050 Posts
You might do better with online options. Try doing a series of articles for eHow or something like that. If you are good with SEO, you should see your earning grow. Even though you don't get payment upfront, after a few months you should find that you earn over and over for the same articles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts