Questions about cream separators

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am looking for a cream separator. Can anyone recommend a good one? I have so far looked the 2 in the Hoegger's catalog. One is electric, one is manual...which does anyone have experience with and which would be better?

TIA!

2. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Jillis: I have the electric cream separator from Hoeggers. I love it. It works great. I would advise against the manual one, just because if you're going to spend THAT much money, you might as well get something you'll be happy with. The (goats) milk should be saved in the fridge for at leat 2-3 days before separating out the cream. Then pour milk into a big pot and heat on stove til it reaches about 75-80 degrees farenheit. Pour the milk in the separator bowl and plug it in to turn on. There's no real directions with the separator, because it comes from India, I think. It does have a picture of how to put it back together after washing all the parts (which I would've been lost without in the beginning). It has LOTS of parts. If you order it, and can't quite figure it out when you get it, email me and I'll try to help you. (Raftercat5@aol.com)
    - Kathy

3. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Jillis, if you get the separator, you'll want to make butter with the cream. It's easy...just put the cream in your mixer and mix it really slow for about 1/2 hr to 45 min. Then wash the butter in cold water with a spatula, getting the buttermilk out til the water is clear. Salt it, and you have butter. I made some this morning. Yum!
    - Kathy

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kathy! I appreciate the feedback!