Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do you give the shots?

Can shots be given to an older goat, if you aren't sure that they ever had the shots to begin with?

Do you have to give a booster shot later on? At what age?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
CDT shots are given here at 4 and 8 weeks of age. If the dam wasn't vaccinated before kidding, was vaccinated to close to kidding, or her vaccination history is unknown, the kids get their vaccinations at 3, 6, and 9 weeks of age.

All goats that I don't get a health record with or don't watch the previous owners vaccinate before I take it home, recieve a CD/T shot when it arrives here. All age goats can get the shot.

As for boosters, bucks/wethers and other non kidding animals get yearly shots. IF it's status is unknown, it needs an initial shot and then another 4 weeks later, then yearly. Does, however, need a shot 4-6 weeks prior to kidding every year so that the kids get carry over immunity from the dam through colostrum.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that quick response. I'm trying to get more organized with my vaccination schedules since my goat herd is getting larger.
I'm going to attempt to get a notebook going so I can keep track of what is done and when it is done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.