Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now just a quick pre-view. We have a Nubian, a pygmy and a pygmy/lamancha cross that we milk. We have been drinking this milk for a few years now and love it! I just purchased 3 registered(My first!) Toggenburg does yesterday from a woman who only had them mainly for pets and because their kids liked them. They only milked them to feed the babies and had them sold. The buyer backed out and they desperately needed someone to take them. So....we did! We just brought them home yesterday and milked them last night and this morning. DH and DD tried the milk from last night and it tasted nasty...sour tasting they said. Now, I know that they could have had something from the other pasture they were in or whatever the others were feeding them that could have made the milk off flavored.

My questions....how long could it take before the milk could become drinkable? Could the stress of the move have done this? And...is there anything else we could do with the milk other than feed it to our animals or make soap? Has anyone tried making yogurt or ice cream with off flavored milk or maybe even bread, pudding...etc...had it turn out ok?

They have integrated into the rest of the herd just fine. Was surprised there wasn't anymore head butting than there was. They all are acting like they've been together for years!

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Stress could do it. I'd give it a few days while they settle in. It could be feed or grazing that has affected them. If it has a salty/sour taste you may want to try chilling it faster and test for mastitis. Also, toggs are known for stronger tasting milk because they were bred for milk for cheese production.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dona...LOL! I've dealth with the salty taste before and don't have any problems with that. Our milk is chilled very quickly. I milk, take milk into house immediately, strain and in the fridge! Have never had any problems with my other goats milk.

So do you think I could still make cheese with it? I was expecting a "stronger" taste but not a sour taste.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Chilling may need to go quicker than that, especially with toggs that have the low fat content... all your other ones have a very high content. I had problems chilling my alpines' milk when the weather started to get warmer. Use the double bucket ice method or do what I do:

Milk into one bucket, pour through strainer into small bucket, then pour the milk into another large bucket with a baggie full of ice in it. chills the milk quick while I milk the next doe and during the walk to the house. Haven't had any flavor problems since I started doing that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scounger....I have 3 of my 6 kids that feel the same way you do....but little do they know they have been drinking it from the milk jug in the fridge! They THINK they are drinking cows milk from the store but in actuality they are drinking the goats milk. It's all in the way you think sometimes!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Scrounger said:
All goats milk is nasty tasting to me! :rolleyes:
Wife loves the stuff, though...... :shrug:

Storebought, or properly handled milk out of healthy does on your homestead, or someone else's homestead that you trust? Goats milk does not have a different 'flavor', at least not one that's undesireable. At least not if the milk is handled properly from healthy goats.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
You are used to Pygmy, Nubian, and LaMancha milk. Togg milk doesn't taste like that. The breeds you've had are high butterfat, and the Toggs are not. That alone will make a difference.

You could check these girls out for mastitis.

They only milked them to feed the babies and had them sold.
It could be that they weren't milking the doe regularly or thoroughly. I would toss the milk for two to three days, and then try it again and see how it tastes.

But ultimately, it may be a simple breed difference.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
chamoisee said:
But ultimately, it may be a simple breed difference.
Very likely since your new goats are Toggs. I know some Toggs have great milk....but many have the strong-tasting milk they are famous for.
1st goats we ever bought and milked were Toggs.....and they had the strong-flavoured milk. Took me years to overcome my revulsion for goat milk from that experience. Now I realize that not all goat milk tastes like that! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts