questions about a first time freshener due next month...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, May 14, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I am so happy to see so many healthy babies born here lately!

Anyway, we are expecting kids in one month. Our very firsts!!! But of course I have questions. I have been reading the boards and books and I have most things down, but what I want to know is what I do with the kids once they are born? I have 2 does right now. They are both very gentle and sweet and devoted to eachother. Last summer when one had stitches and had to be put in a crate inside the barn, the other stayed right by her. Even though it was beautiful outside. Anyway, do i need to seperate the two does when the mom has her kids. Do I have to keep the second doe seperate from the newborn kids? And once the babies are delivered and dried off and nursing, then what? do I have put them somewhere special, like a box?

Thanks!

Ps cross your fingers for me. My brother's wedding (and I am a bridesmaid) is day 149 of her gestation) Please hope for me that she doesn't kid that day, that time!!! :rolleyes:

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you plan to let the moms raise their kids? If so, you don't need a box or anything like that for the new kids, just clean bedding. If the doe has lots of birth fluids, I put the dried off babies on a clean towel near the doe until she's finished kidding and then rake up the wet straw and replace it with dry straw. My bottle fed kids are removed and kept in large Rubbermaid totes on clean towels for a few days and then go to live in the baby pen. I do not have special stalls to seperate the new moms and their kids. I do have 4 goat houses in my main goat yard so new moms can have some privacy if they want it. My goats all live together through kidding time. The one exception is the doe who had a C section the other day. She has her own stall with her kids to protect her from the antics of the other goats while she is healing. Don't forget to iodine the new babies' navels ASAP.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

If your does are really close, you could just leave the new mama and her babies in with the other doe, it could keep them from fighting when they are reintroduced. Good Luck with the future little ones. Bye.

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I had 18 mammas deliver this year and after the actual kidding they are together with all the rest even the buck.
    steff
    good luck