Questions about a clothes dryer...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Hears The Water, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey y'all, last week my electric clothes dryer just quit working. I don't know why. It is about 15 years old. I did double check the breaker and the plug in. Does an electric dryer have any kind of a "reset" switch on it? Is there anything I can check before I call a repairman out to look at it? Is a 15 year old machine long past it's prime? Any help would be appreceated. If we can fix it here ourselves, it would be a wonderful thing. Not only is the budget too tight for a new dryer right now, but it would be a beast to get in there! We would have to take out the washer and the 'fridge to get the dryer in! It is that tight on space in there! I am not ever sure if a fully grown person could fit in there with much room to work even! LOL! Thanks again y'all!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a meter to test ohms, amps, & voltage?

When it 'just quit working' what does that mean? Did it die while you were drying some clothes, or did it work fine when you used it last, just failed to turn on this time when you tried to use it?

Does the switch feel any different to you - loose, or tight, or - different?

What brand is it - some manufaturer's actually have drawing on-line for you to look up parts & how it is assembled.

Likely something kinda simple broke. The hard part is to figure out which part. Getting to the part - total disassembly if you are in such a tight spot? And then, is the 15 year old drier worth putting more money into - some rot/rust apart in that amount of time, some might go 2x that long. Kinda depends what it looks like as to if it's worth it.

Should likely be pulled apart & _totally_ cleaned out if it's been 15 years. They load up on a lot of dust & soap & such in the corners & crooks. Will make it much more efficient & safe.

You will be working with electrical items, have it unplugged & so forth, if you are not familar with electricity - it would be easy to show you what to do, but I guess I would feel some guilt to tell you to go ahead & try this or that, & then you get hurt.....

--->Paul

3. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

4. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

5. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

whirlpool make a fuse thats on the back. take off the back panel, and where the wires are you will see a white fuse, doesnt look like a regular glass fuse, its about an inch and a half long. remove and replace it.they go out alot on whirlpools

6. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

most dryers have a door switch that can wear out, you could check that, might be the easy fix.