Questionaire

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Aug 9, 2006.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Well I wrote up this questionaire that I'm planning to send to my family/friends and though I'd post it here for my online friends. I'm kind of in a rush right now so I'll post it now and I'll put my replies a bit later.

1. Did you grow up on a farm/homestead? If so where (state)?

2. If so, how many generations of your family were farmers/homesteaders also?

3. Did you/ will you inherit the family farm/homestead? Do you plan to continue the farming/homesteading there?

4. What was the main thing your farm produced (dairy, beef, poultry, etc)? Was it marketed or for your own usage?

5. Besides the thing listed above; what other things were produced?

6. What was/is the thing you like best about farming/homesteading? And the least?

7. If the need for money were no object; would you choose a “city” job
    or on a farm (neither is not an option)? Why?

8. If you are living in town now; do you have plans to move and start farming/homesteading? If so when? Are you planning to stay in the same region or go elsewhere?

9. What “services” do you feel necessary when trying to locate your future
    property (electric, distance to jobs, medical care, etc)?

10. If you are planning to farm/homestead, what brought you to this decision
    (family tradition, environmental or economic concerns, etc)?

11. Are you planning on subsistence farming or plan to market you goods?

12. What skills do you currently hold toward your farming/homesteading goal?
    What others do you hope to learn?

2. pcdreams

1. No

2. my grandfather and his father were farmers. not sure
    what they farmed

3. No, N/a

4. n/a

5. n/a

6. I'm not homesteading/farming yet. But to me I would think
    being outdoors in nature, being your own boss, being
    responsible for you and your families well being instead
    of relying on city job and agribusiness.

Least would most likely be when animals get sick, weather
    is to hot or rainy. Bring on the cold and snow!!

7. farm... Again because of the freedom and responsibility

8. Yes, Hopefully within the year. Stay in the same region for
    now.. Hope to move to the NE eventually and get out of the
    heat and get more snow.

9. None really.. We plan to go solar w generator backup
    eventually, will start with aladdin lamps.
    Job will be the farm
    who can afford med care anyway?

10. Environmental, economic, and spiritual.. We feel that this
    earth is only borrowed and that it should be conserved for
    future generations instead of exploited and destroyed for
    profit.

11. little of each.. We plan to grow what we eat and sell the
    extra

12. We garden, make soap, make cheese.We hope to learn animal husbandry,dairy, vet care,canning,farm management,Marketing our goods.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Obviously, I'm missing previous posts which explain the need/reason for this questionnaire?

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

xxx

5. pcdreams

Nope you didn't miss a thing. Just though it would be neat to share.

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

1. yes, a dairy farm in Michigan
    2. 5 generations that I know of
    3. I am ging to buy it and continue farming
    4. Dairy was sold commercially, pigs, chickens, rabits were raised for our own use
    5. maple syrup, and a large garden
    6. I liked the family all working together, and being self sufficient. The thing I disliked was when dad sold the dairy herd
    7, I would live like the amish because that lifestyle is good for the health, and one with the environment.
    8. n/a
    9. Fertile land, cold winters, maple trees, A Hardware, someplace to buy seed, feed, equipment parts,
    10. After seeing all the waste and decadence int he world, I believe it to be the best way to live.
    11. both
    12. I know how to raise cattle, plant crops, repair equipment, contruct buildings. I want to learn how to raise, and handle draft animlas, how to blacksmith, and some old time(200 year old) homesteading skills.

7. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I'm not farming, I'm not even Homesteading. But, I live in the Country.
    We bought 13 acres as a Retirement Home, to get out of the City.
    We only have pets, so far. the idea is to get beef cattle. I'm working toward it. But some of your questions are relevant to us..............

1.Yes, I grew up on a small Family Farm in SE Indiana.

2. Many generations of my Family were Farmers. The older Generations were Farmers in Germany, before coming to this Country, early 1800's.
    Many of my DBrothers & Cousins are still Farmers.

3. No and No. My younger Brother & Sister bought out the Old Homeplace,
    in a partnership.

4. We had Dairy cows, Beef cattle, chickens, ducks, a few sheep & a pig,
    once in a while. All were for Family use.
    We sold milk, Beef cattle, Tobacco, & eggs.

5. The same as above.

6. The work was hard but satisfying. There were 9 of us Siblings. We scrimped by a lot.

7. I chose the City Job.I am a Retired Auto Worker. I chose this in order to better raise my Children. After their mother left, I was a Single Parent, for 15 years. Clearly, in retrospect, it was the better Choice for us.

8. I'll prob'ly die out here on this little place. I'm happy here. A little garden a Beef calf or two..........We don't need to much.

9. We are 5 miles form EMS. We are 20 miles from our doctor, 30 from the Hospital. I don't need another job. DSW works 30 miles away. We have al, the amenities.

10. No, this is as Good as it gets, as long as it lasts. Living the dream.

11. N/A No plans other than what we are doing.

12. Well, yes, I could put out crops. I grew up doing that.Yes, I can raise livestock. It just is not necessary, to us now............Sorry, I Probably should not have answered this.

But there you are.
    Have Fun. Love Life!

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

1. Did you grow up on a farm/homestead? If so where (state)?

Yes...Alabama

2. If so, how many generations of your family were farmers/homesteaders also?

Back to the beginning of time as far as I know.

3. Did you/ will you inherit the family farm/homestead? Do you plan to continue the farming/homesteading there?

I will inherit 1/3 of the family farm. My brother, sister and I will decide how it is used.

4. What was the main thing your farm produced (dairy, beef, poultry, etc)? Was it marketed or for your own usage?

My parents grew truck crops for personal use and to sale. We also raised beef, poultry and goats for personal use. One summer my Daddy planted four acres in cucumbers to sell to a pickle company. Daddy also cut timber on our place and had a one man sawmill. Mama still raises some crops for the farmer's market and has a "pick your own blueberries" business.

5. Besides the thing listed above; what other things were produced?

Oops...guess I answered that above!

6. What was/is the thing you like best about farming/homesteading? And the least?

I like the solitude and being outdoors. I don't like the heat in summer, or the snakes and bugs.

or on a farm (neither is not an option)? Why?

Farm...why is answered above.

8. If you are living in town now; do you have plans to move and start farming/homesteading? If so when? Are you planning to stay in the same region or go elsewhere?

We bought our farm in MS four years ago and moved from Dallas/Ft. Worth. We're going to stay here on our farm the rest of our lives, if all goes as planned.

property (electric, distance to jobs, medical care, etc)?

Hubby's commuting distance was a factor, plus we wanted to find secluded property (which we achieved by buying property in a flood plain. No one can build around us).

(family tradition, environmental or economic concerns, etc)?

Raised this way. It's in my blood.

11. Are you planning on subsistence farming or plan to market you goods?

Perhaps a little of both when hubby retires in less than two years.

12. What skills do you currently hold toward your farming/homesteading goal?
    What others do you hope to learn?

I know how to garden and can identify a lot of wild edibles. I know how to can, freeze, make jellies, etc. I know how to raise most farm animals, but I am always eager to learn more, especially construction and woodworking skills.

9. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

1. Did you grow up on a farm/homestead? If so where (state)? No, unfortunately

2. If so, how many generations of your family were farmers/homesteaders also? My grandfather, Great grandfather and on back were farmers.

3. Did you/ will you inherit the family farm/homestead? Do you plan to continue the farming/homesteading there? Unforunately not. the farm was lost when my father was a teen.

4. What was the main thing your farm produced (dairy, beef, poultry, etc)? Was it marketed or for your own usage? Dairy

5. Besides the thing listed above; what other things were produced? Not Sure

6. What was/is the thing you like best about farming/homesteading? And the least? I like the fact that I have learned to help take care of my family without having to depend on super markets. The thing I like least. is the fact that it can sometimes get very lonely .

or on a farm (neither is not an option)? Why? That's easy, FARM! I wouldn't give up my peace of mind for all the money in the world.

8. If you are living in town now; do you have plans to move and start farming/homesteading? If so when? Are you planning to stay in the same region or go elsewhere? We moved from Las Vegas, NV. to Missouri

property (electric, distance to jobs, medical care, etc)? Medical is deffinate factor...both human and animal. Distance to jobs since we don't sell anything.

(family tradition, environmental or economic concerns, etc)? We didn't want our children growing up in the city. There's bad influences everywhere. But in the city those influences seem to be more "in your face"

11. Are you planning on subsistence farming or plan to market you goods? Subsistence mostly, with any extra used for trade or sold at the farmers market.

12. What skills do you currently hold toward your farming/homesteading goal? Moderate gardening, Moderate carpentry, equine training,Keeping poultry...
    What others do you hope to learn? More gardening, canning, possibly sewing, leatherwork and a few other things.

10. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

1 yes, 2 4 in the US, 3 no, 4 First milk, then grain when I was home, 5, milk, 6, Liked putting up hay, not dont 7 Farm,,, U have to ask?? 8 -9 electric, 10, Family tradition, 11 both, 12 machanic, welding, gardening