Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The post about kerosene on the dogs made me start this. How many different old timey questionable things have you heard of when caring for animals.
The first that comes to mind for me is the salt/lard mixture packed on the castration wound. Yeoooow that has got to be worse than the castration with a pocketknife itself! I'm sure the iodine in the salt has some infection prevention but I don't think we need to be doing things like this in 2007.

Let's hear what you've been told that made you raise an eyebrow.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
People used to soak a puncture wound in kerosene/coal oil.

A cure for hiccoughs was to soak a spoonful of sugar in kerosene and take that internally! :eek:

·
Administrator
19,110 Posts
My goodness, I've heard more than my fair share and we've had a few posted over on the horse forum. I had a guy tell me that if you have a horse with a bad wound, packing the wound with black pepper would prevent proud flesh :rolleyes: I passed on that one in favor of a less severe and more proven treatment.

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
When I was a kid a family friend removed ticks from man and beast by putting a wad of chewing tobacco soaked in gasoline on the tick. As I remember they backed right out, but it was a very vile cure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
burnt motor oil and powder sulfur rubbed all over a dog with mange with cure it. just don't do it on a really hot snny day or you might cook your dog.

Blessings,
Debi

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Bearfootfarm said:
Some of those old cures did what they said they would, but then so did DDT
There are better ways now
Not trying to change thread but, I saw a program on tv a while back, I don't remember the name, But they were saying that DDT was not as bad for the enviroment as once thought and that the benefits from it, skeeter control and many other things, definitely out weighed the bad. I know you can't believe everything you read but it was interesting.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EDDIE BUCK said:
Not trying to change thread but, I saw a program on tv a while back, I don't remember the name, But they were saying that DDT was not as bad for the enviroment as once thought and that the benefits from it, skeeter control and many other things, definitely out weighed the bad. I know you can't believe everything you read but it was interesting.
It's my thread so I can hijack it.

DDT is actually one of the main reasons we don't have malaria to worry about. It was a problem in this country many years back. They are now approving the limited use of DDT in some countries to try and halt the rampant spread of the disease. DDT was abused like most everything we get ahold of and it does tie in with the theme of this thread. Much of what's done to animals is the if a little is good a lot must be better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
biscuit or any dough, mixed with ashes or coals to make a poultice tried once, after cutting myself with barn tin,

didn't make me feel any better, i guess you use what u got

guess i should have read animal practices part, i have used kerosene on mange for a dog or two

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
countrydreamn said:
burnt motor oil and powder sulfur rubbed all over a dog with mange with cure it. just don't do it on a really hot snny day or you might cook your dog.

Blessings,
Debi
The berries from horse nettle will cure mange. Smash 'em up into a paste and rub it on. It seems much less flammable to me. lol. Just use rubber gloves and don't eat any.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PyroDon said:
well kerosene will get rid of crabs in a hurry :eek:
Only if you light it on fire after application.

Old timer from OK told me how when he was young they were told to splash kerosene on after sex with a questionable partner. He said it burned but he never had any disease.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I can't remember what it was supposed to cure, but pour hot oil (vegetable oil?) down a dog's throat.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not quite animal related, but speaking of kerosene...

My dad claims that my uncle (his older brother) got tape worms as a kid and they had him drink kerosene (not sure how much) to get rid of them.

I've heard of feeding chewing tobacco to dogs to get rid of worms.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I just picked up a new puppy today, husky/yallow lab. When I asked the lady if they have been de-wormed. (puppy is skinny) she told me she feeds her dogs gun powder to rid them of worms.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts