Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a 3 year old jersey cow in May who was supposed to be bred for $800. She was due on July 31 and still no calf, no signs either. I really cannot tell if I ever saw her come into heat at any time because I have another cow(my present milker who is not bred because I am getting rid of her due to her age and problems calving) I know my other cow comes into heat because she jumps on all the other cows, this cow does some jumping too but that is normal. My question is, should I ask for some of the money I purchased her for back? I don't want to be rude to her former owner as we are on good terms and I keep her posted on her old cows well being. It is just that I was counting on this cow for my milker this winter, and my present milker has been milking now for 11 months and she will most likely not keep up the pace until I get this cow rebred and calved next year. I sell my milk (under the table) so I will lose money if I can't provide milk to these people. What do you think?
 

·
Very Dairy
Joined
·
14,609 Posts
Yikes, that's a toughie.

I'd start by letting the seller know that the cow hasn't calved, and you don't think she's even pregnant.

That opens the door for her to propose a remedy -- either giving you some of your money back, or perhaps she has another cow due to freshen that she would swap this one for?

Otherwise, it sounds like you might have to sell this one at a loss and buy a bred cow in order to keep your customers happy.

If you do decide to keep her, might want to have her vet-checked to see, first, if she is pregnant, and if not, if she is actually cycling, then if there is any reason why she's not settling. I"m assuming she's had one calf already. (How did that go? Were there complications?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've let the previous owner know that she has not calved yet, and am waiting for a reply. She had no problem calving the last time. She was apparently serviced by a hereford bull, not AI. She was not in good condition when she came here, skinny from nursing a 10 month old bull calf, no barn all winter, hay fed etc... Could she have reabsorbed the calf? I really would hate to give her up she is beautiful and a sweetie, plus she is a registered Jersey and I would really like to keep her. Thanks, Cara
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,154 Posts
You need to have a vet sleeve her so you know if she is bred. If she is he should be able to estimate when she will freshen. Otherwise everything about the cow is guess work.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top