Question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MamaWolfInWV, Mar 23, 2004.

1. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

DH and I bought three rabbits at last weeks auction, one of which is supposed to be a bread doe. Can someone take a min to tell me how I can know this for sure?
    I have had rabbits before but never bread them or had any that were so I really don't know what "signs" to look for. She is a fully grown NZW so needless she is pretty large but not that much bigger than the NZW buck I have so size really isn't providing much info lol.

2. wynterwren

wynterwren Active Member

Hey Mama..

I think maybe the place to start is to ask when she was bred. That way you'll have some idea as to when she's due.

If she's 10 days to two weeks past the breeding, you can try palpatation--Place the doe on a non-slip surface, facing you and then put your right hand over her ears and shoulders. Place the left hand palm up under the abdomen just in front of the pelvic bones. Gently press upward with your fingers, while pressing from the side with your thumb. This will bring the embryos into postion between the thumb and fingers. They feel kind of like grapes--about that size, maybe a little larger. If you detected kits, stop and return her to her cage. Note*--I don't palpate the left side with my right hand because it's too easy to mistake a kidney for a kit on that side--at least for me it is!!

You can look at her vent...if she's in the early stages of pregancy her vent is usually small and pale...but she may pink up as she gets closer to her due date..

If you can't find out when she was bred, and you're unsure about palpation; Give her some hay and watch for signs of her trying to make a nest--she'll run around with a mouth full of hay and try to dig a place to put the hay and make a nest, she may even be pulling wool. If you see that behavior, give her nestbox and let her do her thing.

Hope that helps a little...

Suzi

3. Robin Pundzak

Robin Pundzak Active Member

The only way to know "for sure" is to wait for kits to be delivered. If you know when the doe was bred, count 28 days ahead to know when to put in her nestbox, and 31 to determine the 'average' kindling date. Does usually deliver on the 31st day after breeding, but actual kindling can occur anytime from the 28th to 35 day. Does that are pregnant will usually jump right into the nestbox and begin building their nest, carrying hay around in their mouths. Sometimes they don't, though. You can also palpate the doe to feel for the developing kits. This is difficult for a new breeder; you get better with time. Don't press too hard or you could risk damaging the embryos. If you know someone that can show you how, or do it for you, that would be helpful.
    Robin

4. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of your help :worship: I went out to investigate a few minutes ago and yup I am fairly sure there are kits in there :cool: I would have liked to have spoken to the person that put her up for auction but the sale barn won't give out any information and I have no idea of whose rabbit she was. Honestly I didn't even know that she was bread until I went to pay my bill at the end of the night and they read the bill back to me. They had so many small animals that night that most of them they just held up and gave no info. Maybe not the smartest move on my part but..........(Yeah I know I can be a bright one sometimes :rolleyes: lol).................Anyway thank you :worship: thank you :worship: thank you :worship: thank you :worship: