Question ?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thefarmerswife, Apr 26, 2006.

1. thefarmerswife

thefarmerswife NY_Cowgirls Mom&Herself

I'm really want to get some Holland or mini lops within the month for 4-H. Is there anything special I should do with the rabbits once I get them. how long until I should bred the female rabbit. I'm supposed to have a plan of action of what to do with some of the babies. We are friends with the owner of a pet store, but she would probably pay me 5 or 10 dollars then sell them for 25 to 30. should I just sell them though the newspaper? :shrug: I have no idea what to do.
    Thanks in advance
    Farm gal

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Rabbit care is a book in itself. The big thing as far as I can see is learn how their digestion works, because rabbits are prone to diarrhea and death if it gets too far out of whack. That would be what I would emphasize the most to a new owner.

About the pet store, that sounds like a nice way to market them, to me. Don't worry that you aren't getting what the store owner is getting. She has a lot of expenses that you may not even know about to keep the store running. It sounds like you are losing money that way, but in reality she is setting a price that you would never get advertising them in the paper. The only rabbits that I know of that bring that kind of money are decent show rabbits, and you have to be showing them to do that. Just raising a few and selling them in the pet store will be much less work for you and you will move all of them, most likely, while if you advertised them in the paper you'd have rabbits left that you would have to deal with. Many times rabbits are available for FREE in the newspapers around here.

Good luck with them. I think you'll have fun.

Jennifer

3. Serena

Serena Well-Known Member

Farm Gal

For 4-H I you have to track your costs and earning I am betting. To start I would recommend joining the ARBA they will send you a book that has a lot of good care and breeding info. Invest in the best stock you can find, since you are wanting a fancy breed (lops) I would look into showing (in our area the 4/H gets credit for attending and showing.) It is fun and you learn a lot and meet a lot of people willing to share info. Keep track of what you spend on breeding stock, cages, feed. Line up the petstore for some of your extras, keep 3 generation pedigrees on your babies and try to sell to other breeders also.
    Holland Lops are a dwarf breed and will produce double dwarf “peanuts” that are a fatal gene combination. Expect these, you will have to learn to deal with them. Mini Lops are NOT a dwarf breed and are larger and have bigger litters. They “could” be used for meat if you wanted from the sizes I have seen. They are not as popular as Hollands in the pet market and some petshops do not want them or pay as much for them.
    Keep your rabbits cool, heat will kill them faster than cold will. When breeding take the doe to the bucks cage. Does are real testy about other rabbits in there cages… Generally you don’t leave a buck with a doe unsupervised. Murphys law, if you do the doe will be extra witchy and attack the buck, they have been known to castrate a buck attacking them and of course if that happens it will be your best buck.

Thats all I can think of or suggest right now.

Serena
    Raising Satins, Mini Rex & Netherland Dwarfs.

4. thefarmerswife

thank you so much for all the info.
    Farm gal

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Have you ever had rabbits before? I'd say visit the local library and see if you can find some rabbit books. The American Rabbit Breeders Association (www.arba.net) has some excellent information on rabbits, and even sends you a free book when you join. Also try www.barbibrownsbunnies.com and islandgems.net.

Two very good books are "Your Rabbit: A Kid's Guide to Raising and Showing" by Nancy Searle, and "Rabbits for Dummies" by Audrey Pavia. For what you want to do with your rabbits, "Your Rabbit" would be a good book to get you started. It covers breeding, showing, health care, and even how to build cages, hutches, and nest boxes. Yeah, it's designed for kids, but it was written by a 4-H leader, so it's not fluff and junk.

Yes, the Holland Lop is a dwarf breed, so if you breed two "true" dwarf rabbits together, statistically about 25% of the offspring will be "peanuts". Peanuts are bunnies who have inherited two copies of the dwarf gene. The peanuts are disproportionate and nearly always die soon after birth. (For more info, please visit http://www.islandgems.net/dwarfinfo.html) Dwarf rabbits also have small litters. Of course, Hollands are absolutely adorable with those cute little lop ears and baby bunny-like features! Their cuteness and small size means a lot of folks love having them around as pets. They come in a variety of colors.

Mini Lops on the other hand are a bit larger, but they have larger litters and you don't have to worry about "peanuts". They'd need larger cages, of course. Larger breeds often have better temperaments, although this varies with the bloodline. Mini Lops also come in a variety of colors and are really cute too!

6. thefarmerswife

rabbitgal, I did have a couple rabbits at one time. but now a I realize how much stuff I did wrong (having them get to hot or to cold)i :shrug: if only I had done more research. :Bawling:
    Farm gal