Question to suggest 'Dog' forum?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Oct 31, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

This site has many good forums, to say the least.

I was wondering if it's worthwhile to suggest to the admins. or moderators to pass on the idea of a forum "Dogs". Seems a good number of interesting and inquiring posts on that topic.

Not to get greedy about asking more, but perhaps suggesting a forum to discuss something about wildlife management, nature, and such? You know, someplace where subject matter about wild plants, animals, edibles, eco-tourist ideas???
    or is this dumb?

thanks for what is already here. I appreciate this great site. :worship:

Rich

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

actually, not to upset the die hards, but why not a like, household pet forum , that would cover dogs cats and birds etc... or do you think thats too scatter shote? i dunno at times ive had house bound goats too.... so maybe not the best idea....
    dogs/cats maybe...
    i think its a good idea

3. moonwolf

that would sound good. It could be helpful to exchange info about our homesteadin' house pets as a shootin' match, including 'Dogs'. I had a dear pet chinchilla once, and a pair of doves, too..... pets and their care, amusement, etc. :D

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I love the idea.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hmm well I like the idea but I don't know if you can say we really need one. I flipped back through the last 15 pages and 450 plus posts and there were only 8 posts obviously mentioning pets. Its up to Chuck of course, but I can't see much to be gained pulling it off here.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

*sniff* *sniff*

I have one. It's on my signature line. You are welcome to join.

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are all for the dog forum as well. We just got 3 Australian shepherds and plan to breed when they are older and the timing is right. We know of others who have Aussies here and others who have herding dogs. Then there are the dogs for coyote protection, family protection, etc. How many others do we need to have one? I see there is a teen forum which seems unnecessary to me but nevertheless there is one. :yeeha: Why can't there be a dog forum?

8. bridget

bridget Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea. :)

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

well, and the thing is , mentioning home pets, doesnt even begin to cover the LGD territory, another board member and i hung out yesterday , and we spent quite a bit of time discussing dogs, and LGD's in particular, i think it would be a GREAT board to have .if you peruse through the various boards, you will find a LOT of different threads on dogs/cat etc

10. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Hi, Rich,
    I think a Dog/Cat Forum and a Nature Forum would be very welcome as I have been attracted to these kinds of threads. I'm a cat owner and, when I land on my land, I'm going to need a couple of dogs. I'll be dealing with wildlife management, wild plants, and tourists (another form of wildlife? lol) too and will need advice on them as well.

If you need backup, I'm willing to be there for you! Let me know. Please, remember that there is no such thing as a dumb question or idea. Only dumb responses occasionally. ;)

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

11. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I think a dog forum would be great; one of my interests and possible homesteading incomes.

Another idea would be "exotic" animals. I have llamas and have lots of questions. I have seen others with other unusal critters that might benefit: emus, donkeys, alpacas, snakes, lizards . . .

12. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

A dog forum would be awesome! I came to the forum today with a dog question and I don't know where to post it.

13. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hmmm, interesting. Most all of the exotic pets and stock have their own very informative forums. That doesn't mean one would not be fun here however. ;)

I think all recognized breeds have their websites too and there are also sites for the specialties like Herding,, Guarding, Agility, Hunting and the like. Again, it doesn't mean that a general pet site wouldn't be a fun thing here.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see what comes up.

LQ

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I think it's a great idea! I've often wondered why there isn;t that kind of forum here. There are lots of good forums for specific breeds, but something more general would be great --- not everyone owns a *breed* of dog :haha: and it would be nice to have someplace to go for just general doggie questions.

And chinchilla and parakeet questions. :)

15. Little Quacker in OR

:) There is tons of information already on the web for the care, feeding, treating, propagation etc of most of our pet species.

I think if more of us would remember GOOGLE you would see that there is a wealth of stuff already there.

Parakeets:
    http://www.sunseed.com/artccatRQLNUNUQ.html....Along with about a hundred other articles.

Chinchillas:
    http://drexotic.com/care_chinchillas.htm.....again..along with a bunch of other articles.

If an animal, any animal, is being kept in captivity...info is available on it.

There's also great books published on this stuff.

I am not against a pet forum if people want to talk about their pets. That's fine....whatever. :p But when it comes to husbandry..it's out there. Just type it in.

LQ

16. moonwolf

Yes, true enough. The advantage of discussing on a pet/doggie forum is things we might want to toss about regarding what people already mention.
    If comparing to say the Equne forum, which is discussion about any range of things for horses, including referencing a breed website, I think dog forum (and other pets perhaps) could have it's own place for a gathering on peoples interest about dog things in their own lives and sharing experiences or helpful information.That would be consistent to the nature of this site regarding homesteading interests couldn't it? Myself, I've seen topic about dogs on more than one forum, but mostly on this question forum. It might be purposeful to categorize it into a Dog forum for everyone's benefit.
    thanks for your consideration.
    :)

17. Little Quacker in OR

:) No problem...I like to talk about my dogs a lot! LOL I guess I am wondering where the "Homesteading" part leaves off and the "Dog" or the "Cat" part takes off with a life of it's own? Hmmm, I wish I were more articulate! LOL What I am trying to say is....as our dogs and cats bear so heavily on our "homesteading" part..we use them for so many things around the place that they are a HOMESTEADING topic. Not separate.

I could be wrong though. Just look at any thread that mentions a dog or a cat. It will have a lot of responses because they are so close to our hearts. The discouraging part is so many just never learn anything and you read the same stuff over and over.

I am for whatever the majority would like to do. I know where you are coming from. ;)
    LQ