Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I could put this on the goat forum, or the rabbit forum as most of those I know are on one of the two, but I thought I would ask it here where other Ozarkians may offer their advice. As many of you know, we are retiring in a few months an have been looking for a place in southern or southeastern Missouri. We are currently trying to evaluate a small place for sale that is about equidistant from Ava, Mountain Grove, Willow Springs, and West Plains with all of them being 28 to 30 miles away by road. (West Plains my be a tad further)

We were wondering which would be the best place to make our "home town" if we chose this location. This is primarily the best place for groceries, hardware, feed, banking etc. and hopefully has a Target or Wally world.

So Pony, and Alice (are you still here or have you fled to Texas to escape the cold?) and any of the rest of you that might give me some direction... whaddya say? :D

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
In truth I like Lebanon. Just a Big Little town find about all you could need even Jobs.

Seems several in the central south are going to West Plains for work. If I wasn't worried about work and a nice place to live and enjoy the outdoors Warsaw is where I would go.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,151 Posts
I live Ava and Willow Springs. Look at availability of medical care, too!!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
West Plains and Mountain Grove have Wally Worlds. Ava was suppose to get one I dont know if they did. I have not been to Ava in years. Last time I went to the Foxtrotters World Show.

·
Registered
132 Posts
West Plains is the biggest of those, so I suppose it has the most, including a hospital. I don't know if any of them has a Target (there is one in Springfield). Mountain Grove has quite a bit of stuff, including a Walmart Supercenter (it didn't use to be open 24 hrs, don't know if that's changed). I go to West Plains only rarely, for the antique shopping. It has gotten a little too big for me to find my way around, since I don't go there too often due to distance.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We're kinda partial to Mt. Grove, as it's by far the closest to us. Usually if we are going to Willow Springs or Ava (neither of which appear to be a bad place to do business), it's to answer a CL ad. Been to West Plains once in the past year. It's not a bad place, love Hirsch's farm store, but it's the same distance for us to drive as Springfield, and the thrift (and most other) shopping is much better there. We are not dealing with the health issues that tend to plague retirees (yet), and tend to avoid dr. visits whenever possible, so can't comment on health care available in any of these towns.

·
Registered
938 Posts
don't think youed kare mutch about the area wheras I live cause all the rocks and stuff,good people around here tryin to look out fer ya thow,theyis allways tellin me I need move out :sing:

I just though about that :facepalm:

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Lol sounds like you will learn the matrix. !
Here we are in a similar situation.
3 miles gets you a PO gas school and tires fixed.
15 gets that and small grocery small NAPA and a dollar store.
18 adds a small Wally big grocery sorta hardware bigger parts place movies
20 half a super Wally great hardware and county seat
33 great farm store huge Wally World huge NAPA
36 adds a better hospital and a Menards home improvement.
55 most of the big stuff
65 big mall most anything you could hope for
96 Saint Louis - airport
Of course each has different placements so depending on what ya need some are handyer than others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts