Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For our church fundraising auction, I donated a pair of hand-knit socks. The man who won the bid doesn't like wool, which is what I usually use, and has requested lightweight green socks made out of cotton instead. I'm willing to accommodate him if I can. I wonder, though, will cotton yarn feel soft enough? Is it stretchy enough? Do I need to use a different pattern from my basic wool sock pattern? Does anyone have a men's sock pattern that they think is great?

What do you knitters think?

·
Administrator
20,234 Posts
I've made cotton socks as an experiment and used my basic sock pattern but I don't think it was really worth the effort. I find that cotton more rigid than conventional yarns so you do have to take that into consideration (I never found any cotton sock yarns nor did I find the experiment worth further investigation). I did find the cotton socks I made to be soft enough but don't think they lasted as long as more conventional yarns.

I had some difficulty finding decent mens sock patterns but finally just figured out how to make what I have work for me.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...I hadn't thought of bamboo yarn. I wonder if they make it in sockweight or sport weight?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The only thing that 'works' for cotton, if you can find it fine enough is the anklet type of sock... footies if you will...

Has the gentleman ever tried handknit wool socks?

And Lion brand has an acrylic sock yarn that isn't spectacular but might work in this case and is rather inexpensive.

dawn

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Fortissimo (I think that's how it's spelled) made a beautiful cotton sock yarn. I got it from Addi Turbo.

·
Registered
645 Posts
One of my favorite sock yarns is Fixation (I think that's right); it's cotton with some elastic in it and makes nice thick socks that are great to wear with running shoes. I think there are other names for the same type of yarn; check out yarn sites or shops. It's easy to knit, and the elastic makes it keep its shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts