Question regarding a new well.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ardie/WI, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a new well drilled and we finally got water a little over 60 hours ago. It's a bit silty and light brown. Is that normal?

DH thought that we should let it pump overnight and I thought that was a waste of water and electricity. I think that the problem will solve itself.

Any thoughts?

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

hubby is right, most new wells need to pump for at least twenty four hours to clean out the silt and sand from the drilling etc. congratulations on the well, how deep did you need to go?

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I had my well tested before I bought the property, (it was a contract stipulation that the pump/well work as advertised) and the pump man said to let it run for several hours to pump out the cloudy water. He said it was common. If you are inclined to use it until it is clear, have it tested.

4. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Shouldn't a new well also be sanitized using bleach?
    I would have thought the driller would have done this and let you know how long before you could use it. Try calling the local Health Dept. try should know.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Ardie, this is normal. Just connect a hose to an outside faucet and let the water run off into the woods until clear....it usually takes only an hour or so.

If you have already let the water into your house, make sure that you flush the sediment out of your water heater.

6. Ardie/WI

Oy vey, Cabin Fever, I hadn't thought of the water heater! Will tell DH!

We went about 100 feet and, yes, the well was chlorinated. In fact, am watching for the plumber. He is supposed to stop to check the water today.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, we were told the same thing, but letting it run wasn't a problem. The new house was being bricked and the brickers used it constantly.

My husband came out when the wells were being drilled. He asked the well guy if we needed to have the water tested. The guy took a drink from the well and said, "Tested it and it tastes fine."

We've never had it tested. Guess we need to do that.

8. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Ardie if your going to get it tested go all out and have total spectrum test performed by the health department. It cost us $80 bucks but now we know right down to the tiny organism's what's in our water. Besides the FULL test is supposed to be good for 10 years unless something drastic happens in your area.

Our's was 97% pure had trace amounts of minerals. Tester took home 3 gallons for her own use. :) Out of the 82 wells tested in our community ours had highest purity. :D

9. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

We had to have a new well drilled last fall and had to go 600 feet :waa: The drilling company had the water tested and did bleach it. They told us to run it until we could no longer smell the bleach and then it would be fine
    Mickey

10. Ardie/WI

We ran it for about 5 hours yesterday and it ran clear! Today, we're running it again, just to be certain.

I can't believe the difference in water pressure! I almost blew yself out of the shower the first time I took one! :haha:

I knew that ,when we moved here 13 years ago, we'd need to drill a new well. Also, we've had very little moisture for a few years now and a lot of people arund here have had to drill.

Thank you all for your advice! :worship: