Question re curing/smoking

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by vancom, Dec 15, 2006.

1. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

We did the bacon--soaked it in maple surage cure from sausage place, then smoked--a little salty, but we rinsed the slices, saoked for a few minutes in a small bowl, patted dry, and voila--great bacon!

Now comes the ham saga. Same wet curing (longer, however--about 7 days--no injection) and it's in the smoker. I have seen articles and posts that talk about smoking for a day, or a week or even longer. It's a fairly big ham. Questions:

1) Any ideas how long--it's been 36 hours and my husband said it's changing to a nice darker color. We are smoking it at 100 degrees-lowest our smoker
    will go, with hickory chips.

Next question, and this is a dumb one.

2) Does this preserve the ham? Cook the ham? Do we store it in the fridge but it will store for a longer time than a fresh ham--like a month or two? And do we cook it, or is it now cooked? I am really confused about this.

I have tried to find these answers for 3 weeks now...thought I'd ask you olks to help.

Vanessa
    near Nashville

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

To start with, it has not been brined enough to be a true ham, so it will need to be frozen. If you want to cure a ham for warm storage, it needs to be brined for around a month , depending on weight. Secondly, it needs to be cold smoked. Hot smoking cooks the meat and it will need to be frozen or eatan soon after smoking. Not sure of the exact temp for cold smoke, but I believe it is somewhere around 130 degrees or lower.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Opps, 1 more question,.........LOL

I usually cold smoke for around 48 hours.