Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new wood stove this fall. Because I have such a small house I have to keep the damper and draft all the way down. As a result my chimney builds up pretty bad. I have the double wall pipe and have had one chimney fire so far, that was scary ! I cleaned the pipe today with the round wire brush and now burn Kwik-shot soot stopper once a wk. It still looks bad. What would be the best way to keep the pipe clean and safe ? Thanks for the help .

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Burn less wood at once and open the damper to burn it hotter? Is the wood seasoned or green?

·
Registered
311 Posts
What I do is this. I separate my wood. Here abouts the wood that offers the most btu's, (burns hotter) is Doug fir & Larch. So I save that for mid teens & colder. When it warms up to the 20's or warmer I switch to Pine, Spruce, Grandfir or Hemlock. Which offers less btu's, (burns cooler). That way I can keep from shutting the stove down & still control the heat output somewhat. I know these species of conifer don't apply to your part of the world, just an example. Research the btu ratings of the wood available in your area. The same should apply. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
What type of wood do you burn and how seasoned is it? Burning hot once a week even if you have to open the windows during the day might be an answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm burning 90% seasoned oak and keep it loaded. During the day i'll keep the load down and follow your advice on a hotter fire at times. Is this kwik-shot a good product ? I was also told to use salt. Open to suggestions. Thanks to all for the advice

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
barry my folks have the same problem, they have solved their problem by burning a decent fire damper open throughout the day. Then let the fire burn out a bed-time, damper still open. This prevents a smoldering fire (damper shut) all night long. Granted each morning the house is cool, plus they have to build a new fire each morning. On the flip side their flue is cleaner than ever and it requires far less cleanings. I do the cleanings for them so I know this system is working. Lessening the chances of a flue fire also make them smile.....

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
I agree with some of the others. Burn small, hot fires with lots of air, and stoking your fire with small amounts of wood more often.

·
Mountaineers are free
945 Posts
And no matter what... If you are still having problems clean, clean, clean the pipe with that brush. When I am burning low smoldering fires I clean twice a month, when I am burning hotter fires I clean monthly. Each chimney fire brings the risk of damage to the pipe, in some cases one chimney fire can ruin double wall pipe, meaning the next fire might well include your whole house. Seasoned oak is great wood to burn, low moisture oak produces very little creosote. I burn a mix of Oak, Ash and Sycamore, some seasoned a little more than others but mostly seasoned a year and stacked in a dry woodshed.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
For a longer term solution, consider down-sizing the stove, and adding some mass around it to absorb heat. You could build a brick enclosure, for example, and get at least some of the benefits of a masonry stove with a small hot fire two or three times a day. But it definitely sounds like your stove is too big for the house.

And I'll second burning it hot with the doors and windows open if you have to. We used to do that when we were heating a small cabin with a barrel stove made out of a 55-gallon drum -- even at seventy below, we'd have to open the house up (there was no mass to absorb heat). You get kind of an interesting effect with the door open when it's that cold outside -- the hot air rolls out the top of the door, while cold air visibly rolls in at the bottom!

Kathleen

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
I would ilike to add , if it is a stainless steel chimny you want to use a nylon brush not wire the wire scraches the metal and causes it to rust prematurly

also split the wood small like down the the roughly size of 2x4 's with the big peices the size of 4x4 's the smaller modern stoves like smaller wood and it will light easied burn more efficently and you will be able to burn a hot morning and evening fire as opposed to all day

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm burning 90% seasoned oak and keep it loaded. [/QUOTE

you are causing the problem yourself just because the stove will hold say 5 pieces of your wood dont mean you keep it crammed full all the time.

you have to learn how much to keep in it depending on the weather, on warmer days you may not need but 1 piece at time and on very cold days you made need to keep it full depending on the heat it produces.

when you have it all closed up it is just smoldering and causing your problems with the chimney, it needs to burn so hot to keep the build up from taking place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts