Question on selling baby rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by trnubian, Jul 17, 2005.

1. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

My little brother just started 4-H and he wanted to show a rabbit along with his other project which is dairy goats. So, we looked around and finally decided to buy an Golden English Spot. Many people are comenting on how nice loooking he is and they say that we should breed him, and he did win his breed.
    My question is, what do you do with the kits? I know you can advertise them, but what about the ones that are left over. Are there rabbit sale barns in Indiana.

We raise and show high quality dairy goats and most of them are already sold before we need to move them out, but if we are stuck with them we do have the option of sale baring them. Is it the same for rabbits?

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hello,

I breed and show Californians and Creme D'Argent rabbits in ARBA shows. If the judge and other breeders like your rabbit, then he could be a real gem. The only good reason to breed any animal, however, is to improve the breed, so it's important to be familiar with the breed standard and get the honest opinions of knowledgable people if you're serious about breeding.

You'll probably want to get a doe (female rabbit) from the same breeder you got your buck from. That person should be able to help you pick out a doe that would be a good match for your buck. Once the kits are weaned, you can keep or sell the better ones to show and/or breed. The ones that don't measure up can be sold as pets or eaten. :) (English Spots don't have much meat on them though.) If the bunnies are to be sold as pets, then it's important that they are healthy, gentle, and friendly. Play with the babies from an early age and examine them for hereditary health problems like crooked teeth. My does don't mind at all if I handle the litter as soon as they're born, but some does can get aggresive or even kill their litter.

I've had good luck with newspaper ads, and you could also print out flyers to put up in grocery stores. Include a good, cute photo if you can and emphasize the fact that the bunnies are beautiful/adorable, healthy, and friendly, and that folks can meet the parents of the litter. Don't be afraid to charge a fair price and don't be in a hurry to get rid of the litter. The important thing is that the bunnies are placed in good, permament homes. Some breeders will offer to take the rabbit back if it gets sick or folks can't keep it plus they will include a bag of food and a written care sheet with the purchase of the animal.

Here's a sample newspaper ad: "Quality bunnies for sale: beautiful purebred English Spots. Handled from birth, parents on site. Several colors, stay fairly small. (555) 555-5555

Best of luck,
    HB

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

You could haul them clear to Hills dale mich, or sell them at the wolf lake animal swap meet, but what you should do with them is eat the culls, they are the most protein rich & healthy meat you can produce on your farm. Taaaasssty too.