Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to save green bean seeds? We have saved tomato seeds for years, but do you let the beans fully mature and dry on the vines before finishing drying them indoors?

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i did it that way last year and it worked. dried on the vines.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
yes, that's how you do it. after shelling and letting them finish air drying, you can pack them in plastic bags, in or out of the freezer. most important thing is don't let them get wet, or put them up wet.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Used to Take A needle and String the beans and hang them for 6 weeks to dry. Tomatoes You pulp them and dry the seeds on paper towels ,!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
naturewoman said:
And how do you do the tomatoes?
We put the seeds in a small bowl of water just to cover and then change the water after 2 days. leave them 2 more days and then dry them on paper towels or clean dish towells. Put them in a small pimento or other small jar with a lid when they are good and dry. Not sure if the soakings are really necessary, but some old farmer said it ferments the gel coating and any diseases off the seeds. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
I pulled some overgrown beans off the vines. A few (of the pods) were quite dry, but most were still flexible.
I opened a few of the green bean pods. The seeds are very large, colored deep dark indigo blue with some white markings.

I also opened a few yellow bean pods. The seeds are black.

Should I just leave the rest of the pods alone, or could/should I open them and remove the seeds to dry them?

How do I dry them? Just let them sit out in room air?

How do I know when they are fully dried?

And did someone say you can then freeze them?

What other way would you store them?

Thanks for your help. This is the first time I've ever tried to save bean seeds.
Stef

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Bump.

Anyone??
James Dilley gave you an option for such beans. String them up and dry them. There is no other option than simply allowing them to dry in the pods since you already pulled them off the vines. Proper procedure would have been to leave them on the vines until dry, either in the garden or hanging elsewhere.

Martin

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
Also, for saving seed, you should look at the book, Seed to Seed, either by buying it or getting it from the library.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
I obviously overlooked what James had to say.
However, I took your advice and strung the beans with some thread. The pods are now hanging in a dry, dim area. I'm hoping they will dry completely. I will then shell them and put them in storage.

I'm also soaking some tomato seeds in the first step of preserving them.

Stef

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Well, thats what I tried to do--leave them on the vines to dry--but evidentally that dosent work for lima beans--they all molded!

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Well, thats what I tried to do--leave them on the vines to dry--but evidentally that dosent work for lima beans--they all molded!
Works for me! In fact, White Willow Leaf and King of the Garden Pole are drying on uprooted vines right now. What probably happened is that the pods looked like they were dry enough for the beans to also be dry but they were not. Look at James Dilley's post again and you'll see 6 weeks drying time and that's right. That time ensures that both pod and bean are dry enough for shelling and storing.

Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts