Question on San Juans

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by .Marie., Jun 9, 2005.

1. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

I recently went to a "swap meet" in search of a new Cali buck and saw a breed called San Juan. Can anyone tell me if this breed is suitable for meat production? They have coloration similar to wild rabbits and I was thinking the hides might be more valuable than those of Cali's or New Z's.

Thanks,
    -M.

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I had a pair of them for a few months , had one litter from the doe and one cross-bred litter ,,, the San Juan doe only had 5 in her litter ,,

they were 'decent' sized I guess at 11 weeks when we butchered them (I didn't have scales to weigh then) entirely dark meat ,, could tell the difference from the NZ/Cal fryers we butchered at the same time,, were color of meat & smaller 'shaped' carcasses ,,

the cross bred litter NZ/SJ was 6 kits ,, meat was slightly darker than the NZ we butchered at that same time ,, I couldn't really tell a difference with the taste of them from my other fryers tho ,,,

My 72 yr old Uncle has about 10 San Juan does and 3-4 bucks he has 'accquired' from different people ,,, he says the does tend to have small litters 4 - 5 in a litter ,, he is raiseing them to sell to people that turn them loose on hunting areas to hunt ?? he sells them for $10 each at 7 - 8 weeks ,,, with such small litters I really can't see where he can make a profit IMHO,,

and he's entirely an old-fashioned ,, wood hutch ,, wire floor type raiser :haha: I got my pair from him but gave them back to him when I expanded with 5 NZ does & buck ,,

For meat production JMO ,,, I would stick with more production type meat rabbits ,,,,,, theres not much of a market in the US for rabbit furs ,, a fryers fur isn't good for most fur useasage (young rabbits have 'loose'fur) and a Prime fur from a 6 month old rabbit is costly to raise and you still have to find a market ,,,,,,

4. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

Thanks for the information...I appreciate it.
    -M.