Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to growing potatoes and rhubarb.
I am concerned about the health of our rhubarb plant because the leaves are turning red-ish around the outside (see photos) and I am not finding anything online that looks the same and has a possible explanation. Also the Japanese beetles are helping themselves to the leaves plenty

View attachment 89971

With the potatoes I have been thinking its blight, but other plants (nasturtiums for eg) have had some leaves look similar with the end points turning a bit yellow and brown. So I am not really sure whether blight is the culprit. If anyone is able to help me out with answers, that would be wonderful!

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Could be a fungus, where is your general location and how much water are they getting? Maybe overwatering combined with hot weather?

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
It's the end of the growing season and things are beginning to die back. Dig around in the potatoes and I'll bet you find some to eat. Enjoy your harvest and look forward to next year and how they can be better--with more nutrients(especially nitrogen at mid-season), consistent watering, and choice of varieties. What you get at this point is what you'll get. Longer leaf life probably wouldn't yield that much now.

For the rhubarb, I think it's dieback as well, and not necessarily too much insect damage. The leaves will eventually die all the way back to the soil line--and when they do, it will be good to put generous amounts of composted manure around the roots for next year's growth.

But, for Japanese beetle controls, you may --or may not have already seen this: Controlling Japanese Beetles in the Home Garden | High Mowing Organic Non-GMO Seeds

geo

·
Registered
752 Posts
The wilting leave edges look like a minor fungal damage-- watering/rain late in the day and/or not enough air circulation around plants can make this worse. Plenty of good leaf left; not a big deal.

Same for Jap Beetles-- they don't attack the seed/fruit, so no real need to get alarmed as long as there's still a good amount of unaffected leaf left.

We amateurs don't have to squeeze every penny of profit out of an acre, so it's OK to compromise with Mother Nature. Think like the pioneers who put four corn seeds in every hill: "One for the bird; one for the worm; one for the rust and one for me."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be a fungus, where is your general location and how much water are they getting? Maybe overwatering combined with hot weather?
We are in lower Michigan. We have had such a hot, dry spell in July. Only watered every other day though. We do have very good draining soil also. My husband said he sprayed the rhubarb leaves with anti fungal neem oil a week and a half ago. Maybe we just give it a second spray and see what happens..

·
Registered
495 Posts
The neem oil may do more damage than good. Personal experience speaking, here!
I think the fungus problem is originating in the soil, so spraying the leaves isn't going to help a whole lot. I know this is counterintuitive, but try backing off on the water some more. How high is your soil temp, and do you have mulch around the base of the plants to help keep roots cool?

Sorry that I can't be much more help without seeing for myself your garden setup and problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts