Question on rear side of pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Ramon, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

I didn't want my subject line to be too descriptive but I have a delicate question on a male pigs backside. I have an approximately 60 lb male pig who has two fist size sacks just under his tail. Now I realize these could be his testicles but I just want to make sure, since they are each fist sizes and right beside each other. Since his privates are further forward on his body, I wasn't sure if his testicles should be beside them or so far back. Sorry for the awkwardness of the question, but I just want to make sure that he doesn't have something the vet should look at.
    Thanks
    Ramon

2. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Ramon,
    That is what they are, They will be quite large when he is done growing.
    Rick

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

You can always test your theory by giving them a good squeeze or a good stiff whack.

Be ready to run though.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Ramon,
    As Beeman has confirmed, yes that's what they are. Unlike other animals such as bulls and rams, boars testicles don't hang below the body between the back legs but are placed much higher up - and I often think are quite vulnerable. If you are going to keep him until adult, they will become twice the size they are now. And just watch - when it gets cold they will all but disappear and he will just have bits of loose skin there.
    Welcome to the world of pigs :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

I love this place!! Everyone here realizes that we are all at different points in the learning curve and that there is no such thing as a dumb question. I want to thank all of you for answering all of us newbies questions. Thank you.

6. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

60 lbs? Might be a good time to castrate if you plan to eat him and not breed him :)

7. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

Definitely want to echo Hovey's words about being able to ask really basic questions without fear of being lambasted ;-) I do think I'll pass on the "whack" test though, I don't know if Bullet (his name, since he moves faster than a bullet) would appreciate it and since I am indeed expecting him to father many many generations of future piglets, it would be self-defeating ;-) I also really enjoy everyone's sense of humour on the board. Thanks again and I am sure I'll have many more questions.
    Ramon