Question on Pumpkins?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hermitfarmer, Jul 16, 2004.

1. hermitfarmer

hermitfarmer Active Member

Hello to all, I have a question? I had a freind give me some pumpkin plants to put out so I di aqnd now I have three lovely pumpkins (I can send pics) but two of them are huge nad one is growing fine and is a normal sized pumpkin. I was wondering could I pull the pumpkins from the vine and let the two of them ripen untill I want them for pies and such. Any Idea if I am thinking right? Adios............

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They will be sweeter if you leave them on the vine till they ripen. Why do you want to pull them off now?

3. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

First, where are you located and how long to you plan on keeping them before using? Once you pick your pumpkins they will still continue to ripen in the sun. This will cause them to rot sooner than if you left them on the vine. You could keep them in a cool and shaded place to slow down the process (ie: garage, basement, or refridgerator). I personally would leave them on the vine as long as possible before using.

Are you having trouble with bugs, rot or mildew?

4. hermitfarmer

Hey I thank you for the advice. I am in the upstate of SC and I am wanting to keep them for a while about two more months. I was also wanting to ask what is the best way to put these up for later use? I have some half gallon jars and wanted to use as much of these pumpkins as possible. I read somewhere that you could use the whole pumpkin but I am not sure if I read it right. I have no rot or mildew at this time but if it starts this late in the game I am sure I will loose one or more of them. They are growing in the shade of a huge Wallnut tree that is about twelve to fifteen or more feet in diameter. It was big when my mom was little and she is 68 years old. If you can tell me what I need to do if anything let me know. I can send pictures if need be. Thanks...........

5. hermitfarmer

Hey thanks for the intrest, It may sound silly but I did not know if they got really big if the pumpkin would be good inside? I will post a picture soon if possible. Thanks[/COLOR]

6. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

This is the first year in a long time that I haven't grown pumpkins. They're so easy. I'd leave them on the vine as long as possible. As for putting pumpkins up in jars, I've never done that. Always just used them for the roasting seeds and making pies and jack-o-lanterns. I used to try to grow the biggest pumpkins I could, not for any good use, but just to see how big a one I could get. In that case, you have to pick the early small pumpkins off the vine and leave just the one that you want to finish growing. Biggest one I ever grew was 545 lbs. I had to put straw down to cushion cause it was so heavy, but I don't normally use straw. Also have to watch for bore worms getting in the vine itself and killing the vine and in that case would have to go on and remove the pumpkins and put in a cool place.

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year I left some of the pumpkins on the vine too long and they rotted. Of course, it is very hot here this time of year. But this year, I am trying to pick them and bring them in as soon as all the green has gone out of them and they are nice and orange. I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds, and then turn half insides down on a plate (assuming it'll fit to do it this way) and zap it in the microwave. They make great pies and breads. I've put a bunch up solid pack in pint jars this year, but I don't know if you could do that with your large jars.
    Better get a Ball book. They'll also store on the shelf for maybe a couple of months. Put them in a cool place if you've got one.
    mary

8. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Depending on what sort of pumpkin they are, they will store for a LONG time; I am growing maxima type pumpkins (Amish Pie), some of which are pinkish orange, & some are green - they are big, I can just get a 1/2 into a casserole dish to bake. I had a bunch up on some wood under an oak tree, & I just used the last one 4th of July (picked them last Sept.) I did have the next to last one go bad, but the rest were all sound & tasty. Store them where they won't freeze, but as long as they are kept dry & reasonably cool, they can keep well.

[​IMG]

9. hermitfarmer

I am going to pick the largest one tommorow after I post a picture and I will get your advice on color and size. I dont want to pick them too early and I dont know what kind of variety they are since the seeds were given to me. Thanks in advance.