question on odd behavior

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cowboy joe, Sep 8, 2004.

1. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Went to feed rabbits the other night and found one of the 3 month old does lying to one side with her hind legs stretched way out. She tried to get up but began to stagger as if she had been into gramma’s special tonic. I watched her move around for a moment or two before going off to grab an isolation cage. I came back a few minutes later to find her up & about as if nothing was wrong. She’s in isolation right now, better safe than sorry, and appears to be fine.

My original thought was that she might have had a seizure. Now I’m thinking that her leg / legs may have fallen asleep…I suppose that any animal is as prone to a pinched nerves or temporary loss of blood supply as we are. It’s been more than 24 hours and all appears well. Has anyone else witnessed this type of behavior? Any ideas?

2. Kumi_Ori

Kumi_Ori Active Member

I have noticed a couple of my bunnies do this. They get up and stretch. I think this may have been what she was doing. Mine have looked like they were staggering but then they hop away and everything is okay. Most do it but some more than others, I have some that I swear never lie down!
    Kristi

3. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Thanks Kristi,

The rabbit looked fine last night...if her appetitite was any indication everything is fine. Appreciate knowing that someone else has seen this.

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I have some bunnies that stretch out like dogs too, One in particular would roll over and have her legs sticking out like shes dead... NOT something you commonly see a bunny do but there she is all 4 stuck up like she is a dog LOL... Her other favorite position was to lay flat on her belly with her back legs straight out backwards and her head laying sideways on her front feet.. Someone seriously needs to tell her she is a rabbit and not a dog.. LOL. I gave her to a friend as a pet for their kids...