Question on misbehaving chickens.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frank4570, Apr 21, 2004.

1. frank4570

frank4570 Active Member

I have read that there is a theory that chickens can be trained to roost where you want them to. My experience however, has been that once they are allowed out to roam for a while they will go for the highest nearby object they can find, and get on top of it. First 2 or 3 fly on top of the chicken house, then in a few nights the whole flock goes and lands on top of the coop. And the only thing that will get the back in the coop is me grabbing them and throwing them in.Very time consuming.
    Any suggestions?

2. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Spank their little feather butts...

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Scatter corn in the coop about an hour before they would be roosting. Close the door.

4. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

And be sure to have some sort of roost in the coop for them to use.

5. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

We have provided a roost in the coop from day one and every night they go in to bed... never a problem. They free range during the day. I have added other adult birds at night, let them out the next day and they follow the others just as they are supposed to. Even our game birds go right back into the coop to sleep.

I agree with luring them in before they go to roost with a treat and shutting the door behind them.