Question on milking for the home cow folk

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by backyardfarmer, May 7, 2005.

1. backyardfarmer

backyardfarmer Member

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the boards here, and do not yet own a cow, but hope to soon.I will be relocating this summer for work and have found a couple of nice 5 acre places near where I will be working.

My question is this: How many of you only milk once a day, either in the morning or evening, and leave the calf with the mother for the other half either during the day or overnight?

I realize this may cause problems of various kinds, but it would seem to solve some as well. I have seen it mentioned in places ,but yet to find any real description of how it works.

thanks

2. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

I currently have 11 head, jersey and holstein heiffers, cows and calves.
    At times the holsteins have had to much milk for their calf and I either milk them twice a day or buy another calf to put with the mother, which doesn't always work, depending on the nature of the mother. As a rule if I want the milk, I keep the calf off the mother after the morning or night feeding and milk out the next feeding. It works quite well and can save you a milking each day depending on my schedule, if I dont need the milk, I will leave the calf with the mother round the clock. Hope this helps.

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I only milk my Dexter once a day, I pen the calf overnight and i milk in the morning only taking what I need or want and then I turn the calf in to finish up/clean up. I take my milk from one side so I get my share of cream, and the calf gets the otherside. if I don't want to milk I leave them together.
    With a cow that produces more it may not work when the calf is very young as like the previous poster mentioned, there will be too much milk for the calf initially. I wouldn't want to milk any other way, for me it's ideal, it's casual, I can still go away if I want to and my life is not restricted.

Carol K

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The most important thing about milking, is to make sure that cow is milked out (dairy, as beef doesn't seem to be affected). So whether your feeding a calf, and milking to drink the milk. Make sure the cow is milked out.. As far as health issues? Depends, we had a Jersey, and did this and did not have any problems. She used to raise 2, and they kept her milked out. No mastitis, etc etc.

Jeff