Question on Milk Stand

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Sep 18, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I have a question on this milk stand from this company..

Has anyone brought a milking stand from Hoggers?

The price of it is 215 bucks plus 30 bucks shipping..

I would like to purchase one from them but first wanted to know if anyone has brought a milking stand from them?

I can not build one due for unseen things in the family. I have to buy already built.

Thanks for the help and advice.. :)

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I did not but I know several people who did and they love them. I built my own for just a few bucks...I could afford the cost of one new.

3. AllWolf

cricket thanks for the reply back to me. I will remember the ones that is nice and helpful toward me.. I try to help others when in need of help if know the answer but if I don't I leave it alone or sometimes say Good Luck.. :)

Thanks again cricket.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Build your own, hire a teenager to buy the materials and build a stand...Lot less money ($60.00 materials) and would put a few dollars in his/her pocket to boot....I built mine, took two hours and works like a dream....milking, shots, hooves, disbudding etc...Tennessee john

5. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

downloaded plans (easy) and built from scrap. I know you said you can't but it is SO cheap and SO easy.

Vanessa
    near Nashville

6. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Hoegger's also charges 2 arms and a leg for shipping.

Any amish carpenters in your area? Or maybe the woodworking class at the highschool? FFA kids need a project? Contact someone in 4H at your cooperative extension who can put you in contact with other goat people. Maybe there's someone with 2 stands and only needs one. Or if you really really must buy one, look into the metal ones. Some are collapsible, some have side brackets to use for an AI stand.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Yeah, go talk to the local highschool shop class and ask for them to help out! the fiasco farm plans can be made from scrap wood around the house, and cost VERY little if you buy it all new. And it works even with horned goats. I'd personally rather have a wooden stand because of how cold it would be in the winter... LOL I like to sit on mine!

Fiasco Farm Stand Plans!

8. AllWolf

Thanks for all the replies. I have the plans for the wooden milk stand but I want something that will last almost forever and not have to worry about it getting wet. I also do not milk in the winter just from being of spring to close to fall for now.. I may consider getting someone to build one of the milk stands if can find someone. Lots of people around here do not want to anything even if say you pay them a few bucks.. So that is also why considering order a already built one.

Thanks again for everyone time.

9. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Never bought a stand from Hoegger...we bought ours from Caprine Supply...yes the shipping is pricey but it is rather heavy and bulky....they are very nice if you need to travel with them as they fold up prett easily. At first we built our own...I liked it as it was alot higher than most.....made trimming hooves easier :) but as it was lost in a fire and we needed a replacement quickly we opted for biting the bullet and splurging.

10. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

my goat,

thanks for the milking stand plans. always helps to show hubby what I want him to build me next. he probably won't thank you but I do.

Should be able to throw that together in a couple of hours.

11. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

I do have a fold up metal one to take to shows. But the one I milk on is a wooden one that Dad had when I was a kid, The thing has to be 20 years old at least. There was a fellow selling on ebay selling metal stands for a while that was cheaper then that. You could look under livestock-then goats and see.

12. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

I have the one shown at Hoeggers for $255, it is terrific. The lady I bought my goats from sold it to me for $100, one of the better deals I ever got! :banana02: It is like new :)

The head latch is too large for the goat I am milking, she is a Nubian/Pygora cross, but the seller had wrapped towels and duct tape around the arms to make the opening smaller, works just fine!

You will love it!

13. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I just got Hoegger stand a week ago and love it! It is very sturdy. My goats (like most) make sport of destroying things. So frustrating, but this is going to last!

Jennifer