Question on maypop/passionflower fruit

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by PyroDon, Sep 10, 2006.

1. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Looking for things to do with these fruit they have a lemonlime flavor though they may not be ripe yet .
    The vines just appeared beside the drive and have nice flowers and are now prodicing fruit about the size of a kiwi.
    cooking might have been a better place to post.
    I do plan to plant the seeds next spring as well but we currently have a bumper crop of volunteers

2. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

As a kid we just ate them when they were ripe. I suppose you could try making a jelly with them. What the heck, you might be pleasantly surprised!
    The plant itself has some mild medicinal qualities. Look up Passiflora.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Found this online:

This year we've just made maypop ice milk. This will make a 1/2 gallon
    3/4 cup noninstant milk powder,3/4 cup ice water, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 and 1/4 pounds maypop, 3/4 cup honey(And the honey is to taste. So taste the mixture and if it is too tart add more honey, but keep in mind that everything is going to be diluted when you add it to the whipped cream.) which really isn't cream but thats what I learnt to call it. LOL
    I put the beaters and bowl in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. In the chilled bowl make up the ice water and milk powder, beating untill stiff, about 20 minutes.When almost stiff I add the extract. In a blender, I process the maypops and honey until thick puree. Taste here for the honey like I said. Then scrape this into the beaten you know cream and beat in well. Then we put into our ice cream maker and crank until set.
    http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1746

And this (has several recipes): http://www.edible.co.nz/recipes/passionfruit.htm

4. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

I have passion fruit also but they never seem to ripen..... at least not like the passion fruit I see selling for $3 a piece in the grocery store.... Passion fruit is trying to take over my entire yard.... beautiful flowers but no fruit has ripened..... any ideas? :shrug:

5. PyroDon

Ok theres a difference between passion fower fruit and passion fruit.
    Passion fruit is a tropical plant not to likely to grow wild in kansas :)

6. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;The Purple passion fruit from the grocery store,that sells for 2.49 does in fact come from a passion flower.The one you have there is the same one that grows in TX.It produces a small pale orange fruit with bright red seeds.It produces prodigously here in Sunny CA.They do not taste very good.I used to buy the purple ones from the grocery,run them through the juicer and threw a handfull of seeds out the back door 2 years ago.I now have hundreds on the vines.They look like green gourds until they ripen.The Flower on the Purple fruited one (The crown of thorns are curly and wavy).It is also possible that you do not have the correct pollinater in KS.-

7. PyroDon

sorry I was definately mistaken thanks for the heads up .
    these are still green though seem to be turning yellow rather than purple

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I just eat them off the vine in the fall in AR tasty!

9. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Passionfruit is widely popular here in Australia, and I doubt if we'd survive long without it! Most gardens have a vine (including my itty-bitty courtyard garden). There are many cultivars, but all are from the Passiflora family. The fruit of all can be used in the same ways. The best way to eat passionfruit is to cut the fruit in half and just scoop out the innards and eat it straight! I have many, many recipes, but here is a small selection:

Please note: the seeds are eaten along with the yellow pulp.

Passionfruit is an ESSENTIAL in any fruit salad or fruit punch, IMO. It goes well with almost any fruit.

Passionfruit pulp can be drizzled over the tops of cheesecakes;, served over ice cream; added to biscuit (cookie) batter (or to a frosting used to sandwich biscuits together); added to whipped cream as a cake topping or filling; added to custard. Slightly thicken some passionfruit pulp with flour or cornflour and serve it as a sauce to go with pork or ham!

Frequent consumption of passionfruit can help reduce the number of seizures in epileptics, and help those who suffer from muscle spasms, restlessness or facial neuralgia.

Passionfruit makes a delicious frosting for many cakes. Just add the passionfruit pulp and seeds to the icing sugar - you may not need any other liquid. 1-2 passionfruit will be plenty, depending on their size. Here's a recipe where passionfruit icing is indispensible (I've never had it with lemon icing, and don't want to try it)!

Vanilla Slices
    quantity of puff pastry
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 1/2 tablespoons castor sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons flour
    1 cup milk
    1 egg, beaten (or 2 egg yolks, beaten)
    vanilla essence

Roll out pastry to 1cm thick, cut into oblongs 4x10cm, bake in a hot oven until risen, then reduce heat and cook until lightly browned. Meanwhile, melt the butter, stir in the sugar and flour, and then the milk, a very little at a time, beating all the time, until all the milk has been added and the mixture is smooth. Continue stirring for a further 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat and mix in the egg and vanilla essence. Return to a low heat and cook for another minute or two, then allow to cool. Spread custard mixture over half the prepared pastry cases, then cover the custard with the remaining pastry. Ice the top layer of pastry with passionfruit or lemon icing and decorate if liked with desiccated coconut of chopped nuts.

Note: If you prefer not to use pastry, line a Swiss roll tin with plain savoury biscuits (Sao are ideal), pour the custard mixture evenly over, then top with another layer of biscuits, and cover this layer with icing. When set, cut into squares as desired.

Passionfruit and Tomato Jam (one of my favourite jams)
    500g cooking apples, peeled and chopped
    pulp of 9 passionfruit
    1kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and sliced
    1.4kg sugar

Cook the tomatoes and apples gently in a saucepan until soft. Add warmed sugar, stir until dissolved. Boil rapidly for 30 minutes, then add passionfruit and boil until it gels when tested. Pour into warm jars and seal.

Passionfruit Butter (to die for! I've made truckloads of this stuff!)
    pulp of 12 passionfruit
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons butter

Stir all ingredients over low heat until thickened. Bottle.

Passionfruit Delicious
    30g butter
    3/4 cup castor sugar
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    3 eggs, separated
    1/4 cup self raising flour
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup passionfruit pulp
    1 cup lukewarm milk
    sifted icing sugar

Beat together the butter, sugar, rind and egg yolks until well mixed. Stir in the flour, then gradually add lemon juice, passionfruit pulp and milk. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, fold into mixture. Pour into a buttered pudding dish. Place dish in a roasting pan half filled with cold water. Bake at 190°C for 40-45 minutes until light brown and set. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Passionfruit Jam (this is best using the purple-skinned fruit, as it gives a good red colour to the jam)
    12 passionfruit
    3 cups cold water
    juice of 1 lemon
    625g sugar

Remove pulp from passionfruit. Put half the shells into a bowl, pour over 2 1/2 cups of the water and leave overnight. Next day bring to the boil, then cook gently for about 35 minutes or until the insides of the shells are tender. Scoop out this inside pulp with a teaspoon and chop. Discard the thin paper skin that remains. Put this chopped pulp into a pan with the fruit pulp and seeds, add remaining water and bring to the boil. Add lemon juice and warmed sugar, stir until sugar has dissolved, then boil rapidly until jam sets when tested. Let cool for a few minutes and turn into warm sterilised jars and seal.

Passionfruit Meringue Tartlets
    Pastry:
    250g plain flour
    1 tablespoon icing sugar
    pinch salt
    125g unsalted butter, cided
    2 egg yolks

Sift the flour, icing sugar and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter to form fine crumbs. Mix the yolks with 2-3 tablespoons ice-cold water and gradually stir into the pastry mix. As soon as it begins to form balls of dough, turn out. Lightly knead until smooth, then wrap in foil and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Roll out the pastry and line 12 small muffin tins. Prick their bases with a fork, line with greaseproof paper and dry beans and chill for 30 minutes. Bake for 15 minutes then remove the beans and paper and bake for 5-10 minutes more until just done. Remove. Reduce oven temperature to 150°C.

Filling:
    20 passionfruit
    3 tablespoons cornflour
    60g castor sugar
    2 egg yolks
    45g butter

Halve the passionfruit and scrape the flesh into a sieve over a bowl. Press the pulp through and discard the seeds. Measure 300ml juice into a saucepan and set aside. Measure out 6 tablespoons from the remaining juice (if you don't have enough, make up with water). Put the cornflour and sugar into a small bowl and stir in the 6 tbsp juice to form a paste. Heat the remaining 300ml juice to boiling point, then remove from the heat and mix in the cornflour paste. Place over a medium heat and return to the boil, stirring. Simmer gently for a minute or two, stirring, until it forms a thick sauce. Remove from the heat and quickly beat in the egg yolks and butter. Once cool, spoon into the pastry cases.

Meringue:
    2 egg whites
    125g castor sugar

Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add half the sugar and continue to whisk until it forms glossy peaks. Fold in the remaining sugar. Spread over the curd. Return the tartlets to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the meringue is crisp and lightly golden. Serve warm or cold.

Passionfruit Sauce
    1 cup passionfruit pulp
    4 cups sugar
    2 cups water

Strain the passionfruit pulp to obtain the juice. Bring the sugar and water to the boil, boil gently until the syrup spins threads when dropped from a fork. Add the passionfruit juice, return to boiling point. Remove from heat. Pour into hot small bottles. Seal while hot.

Passionfruit Syrup
    2 cups passionfruit pulp
    2 cups water
    4 cups sugar
    1/2 teaspoon citric acid

Put passionfruit and water in a saucepan and boil gently, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Strain through a coarse sieve into a jug and rub seeds with the back of a wooden spoon to separate any pulp. Return liquid to pan and add 2 tablespoons of the seeds. Add sugar and citric acid and stir over heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and boil gently for 10 minutes until syrup is thick. Test a little on a chilled saucer. Pour into sterilised bottles, seal when cold and store in a cool place. Shake bottle to distribute seeds just before using. Use as a topping for ice cream, as a cordial with soda or mineral water, or in a fruit punch with other fruit juices.

Passionfruit Tart
    1 sheet pastry
    16 small or 6-8 large passionfruit
    4 eggs
    18g sugar
    150ml cream
    60g icing sugar

Process the passionfruit pulp in a blender for 5 seconds, and strain the liquid. Break the eggs into a bowl and add the sugar. Whisk well, then add the passionfruit juice and cream. Strain the mixture and refrigerate for several hours up to 36 hours. Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out the pastry to 5mm thickness and butter a 23cm flan tin with at least 2cm sides. Line the tin with pastry, rolling a lip over the side. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Pour the passionfruit mixture into the cooled pastry case. Bake at 170°C for 30 minutes or until the mixture is set when shaken. If the mixture was rested overnight it should not dome on top. Leave the tart to cool at least 2 hours before removing from tin. Dust with icing sugar just before serving,

Easy Passionfruit Slice
    250g plain biscuits
    1 tin condensed milk
    juice of 2 lemons
    1 cup desiccated coconut
    juice and pulp of 1 large passionfruit
    30g butter
    1 tablespoon water
    3 cups icing sugar

Line a slab tin with biscuits, cutting them if needed to fill the tin. Combine condensed milk, lemon juice and coconut, spread over biscuits and top with another layer of biscuits. Heat the passionfruit juice, pulp, butter and water over moderate heat. Remove from heat and add the sifted icing sugar, beating until mixture is smooth and creamy. Spread the mixture over biscuits in tin. Refrigerate for 2 days to set.

Exeter Pudding
    600ml milk
    4 eggs
    24 passionfruit
    20g gelatine
    2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)

Soak gelatine in a little water. Make a custard of milk and egg yolks, being careful not to allow the mixture to boil after eggs are added. Cool, add gelatine. Beat egg whites to a stiff froth. Fold into the custard mixture with the sweetened passionfruit. Turn into a wet mould and leave to set.