Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some meat in my freezer that I don't know if it's good to cook. I've got a large pack of cube steak that says freeze by 7/11 and a large pack of chicken thighs that says freeze by 10/12. You think these will be any good? If I thaw them out, do I just look for dark edges or something to indicate freezer burn? I wish I had a dog or some chickens or something and I'd cook it up for them, but I don't. I hate to just throw it away. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Frozen in original packaging? not rewrapped? I would guess they will look dried out around the edges, defrost and see. Cook and taste, old, dry, throw it out. I would cook plain, if meat looks good and tastes good go ahead and make whatever you want. If kept frozen properly, meat does not spoil, it just dries out....James

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Might have to do some trimming around the edges, but heck yes, I would thaw it out and use it.

BTW, what was the price of cube steak in 2011? It has gone up quite a bit since then.

Reactions: randumguy

·
Chasing a Dream
123 Posts
I would cook it first , do smell and taste test after. I have thought meat looked oky while it was frozen after I cooked it I could smell bad odor . That way you won't ruin a whole meal if you want to make stew or soup - casserole est.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was wondering about smoking some old frozen meat. We had a turkey in the bottom of freezer for 2-3 years, kept forgetting about it. Neighbor was smoking ask if we had anything we wanted to smoke, got old tom out was the best turkey ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts