Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of a little background the wife and I have always wanted to have a little farm since we were both kids. Well we have 12 acres and are slowly clearing it to add pasture. we have 2 pigs 24 chickens and 2 bottle angus calfs.

on to the question

Our pigs started out with 3 one died after about two months are our place. We didn't know much of anything when we bought them other then a few quick reads on line. The are growing much slower then we had thought they would. We got them aug 1 ish. they were we were told they were 8 weeks (not so sure it was quit that.) I ran a tape on them and behind the legs they are 33 inches and base of neck to start of tail was 32. unless I'm doing it wrong comes out to around 90-100 lbs. We keep them in a lot 30-30. They did grow more after we wormed (after the one died.) We feed a 5 gallon bucket of mixed grain (corn soy meal oats act) any advise would be great we will be getting two more this sat (from another person that came recommend by friends.)

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Well, welcom to the forum. I think you will find a wealth of information here. I would recommend you do as I did when I first joined and start going back through the pages of old post and reading post that interest you. I think I went back about 100 pages worth over several weeks before I actually joined here. Got lots of my initial questions answered that way. Not telling you not to ask questions, jut that as the old saying goes "There is nothing new in this world" holds true with pigs. Most important topics have been covered many times here. Sometimes a search will yield the information you are looking for faster than posting a question then waiting for some of us who are kinda computer challenged to respond finally.

Now to answer your question. Do you know that your pigs had worms??? Was you able to take a fecal sample to your vet to find out what worms they had?? Good info., usually does not cost much. I would also recommend feeding a balanced hog grower ration and even a mineral supplement. If you decide not to use a hog ration, but just simple grains I would definitely recommend a good mineral supplement. There are many different kinds of minerals, so make sure you get one suitable for pigs. Not a cattle mineral that is high in salt for sure!!! Pigs are like most animals. there are certain key minerals and vitamins that they are known to be low in, such as lysine and iron. This is why a good balanced ration works well as these particular things are added that really benefit a pig. These may be missing in the grains you are providing, or maybe not in the needed amounts. You may be feeding all they need, but it is a guessing game really on your part.

You may also not be saving money, maybe, maybe not. For instance corn in my area is $200 a ton and about 8% protein. A balanced hog ration is $235.00 a ton and 14% protein. That means to get the same feed value as far as protein I would have to feed almost double the corn, which in fact would cost more than the balanced ration and still would be lacking in some key vitamins and minerals.

Many people will say, "but they are gaining weight, so I must be feeding them right". Keep in mind, I could feed you a diet of Twinkies everyday and I guarantee you would gain weight, but would you be healthy??? That is the real question. Are you raising healthy pigs, or just fat pigs?? Calories makes fat, protein builds muscle. You need the proper amount of both to build a healthy body with good amounts of lean meat and also proper amounts of fat to create a good quality carcass.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
First of a little background the wife and I have always wanted to have a little farm since we were both kids. Well we have 12 acres and are slowly clearing it to add pasture. we have 2 pigs 24 chickens and 2 bottle angus calfs.

on to the question

Our pigs started out with 3 one died after about two months are our place. We didn't know much of anything when we bought them other then a few quick reads on line. The are growing much slower then we had thought they would. We got them aug 1 ish. they were we were told they were 8 weeks (not so sure it was quit that.) I ran a tape on them and behind the legs they are 33 inches and base of neck to start of tail was 32. unless I'm doing it wrong comes out to around 90-100 lbs. We keep them in a lot 30-30. They did grow more after we wormed (after the one died.) We feed a 5 gallon bucket of mixed grain (corn soy meal oats act) any advise would be great we will be getting two more this sat (from another person that came recommend by friends.)
At 4 mos. they should weight about 120 lbs. Its hard to use a tape on a pig and tell the correct weight at a young age. They may weigh more than you think. What breed of hog are they? The corn,soy,oats sounds good. Just give them all they can eat each day and good fresh water all they can drink. Worm them again to make sure you got all of the worms. (Ivermectin paste 1.87) on a sweet roll should do the job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we will re worm them and just to make sure. We just went and got the other two from the farm that was recommended to us. we will be worming these as well. We used the pellets from southern states that you do so much for three days I think is there something better out there.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
we will re worm them and just to make sure. We just went and got the other two from the farm that was recommended to us. we will be worming these as well. We used the pellets from southern states that you do so much for three days I think is there something better out there.
Sounds good. I would use the 20% feed.

Best,
Gerold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts