Question on field peas???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Chas in Me, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

We bought and planted field peas for the peas. They were advertised as being good dried and in soup. Do you pull the plants and dry the peas while the plant is whole, or do you pick the peas and dry them in the pod?
    Thank you in advance for any information you are willing to share.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

They are a whole lot easier to shuck when they are green. When dried, you'll spend waaay too much time and probably give up in disgust.

One year I grew so many I was in despair about how I was going to shell them all. Then I spied an old wringer washer in the corner of the barn. Took the wringer off and attached it to a table, put a sheet up to catch the peas and started feeding vines and all into the wringer. Works like a charm, although it takes a bit of adjustment to get it right. And when yer through, you'd better be prepared to hide the wringer from yer wife. I found out the hard way!

Her heirloom washer that belonged to her granny will always be dyed an odd color of green.

3. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

LOL Bare, good story.

Why didn't the wringer just squash the peas?

4. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Just leave them on the vine in the garden until they rattle unless its wet weather, then you can pick mature peas and they will dry easily if spread out.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

That's where the adjustment comes into play. On this wringer, you can adjust the space between the rollers and it has a tensioner. At first I did squash some peas or too many were going through unshucked. A bit of playing around and learning how much vine to do at once produced fantastic results. You'll get the occasional tough pod that you have to make a small pinch in to get it started but most of them just go shooting across the room.

There really is no way to get the residue off the rollers though, at least that I could find and believe me I tried!