question on feeding Pork

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by KSALguy, May 4, 2006.

1. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

ok not sure if anyone on here does this or not, does anyone on here use the BARF method of feeding their dogs? ie: raw meat? if so do you use pork at all? are there any concerns in feeding raw pork to dogs?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Pork, being a fairly expensive meat, is not usually viewed as dog tucker. However, I have fed pork to mine when I've found some white (freezer burnt) package that has sunk to the bottom of the freezer and the dogs gobble it up with no ill effects.

In this country it is law that mutton has to be frozen for, I think it's 7 days, and ALL offal no matter what animal it comes from, also has to be frozen before any is fed to dogs. The legal alternative is to cook it. I don't know of any issues associated with feeding pork to dogs but if you are doubtful, freeze it for a week before feeding.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Check out the pet section. I asked a similar question and a couple of people said they fed pork. If you had any more questions I bet they could answer there.

Heather

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

well i found some pork neck and sirloin chops for 58 and 78cents a pound at our local "piggly wiggly" lol, so i bought a few pounds for variety enstead of just chicken most of the time, and i had someone mention the possibility of worms, well the meat has been frozen for a while too so i am going to say i am ok, (er the dogs are) also i found on a Raw feeding website that thoughs two items are great if found cheap enough

5. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

There is a risk of feeding raw pork to animals just as there is to humans. Worm eggs can be present in the tissues of pork and if injested can cause trichinosis (infestation of round worms). That is the reason why we are told to thoroughly cook pork. Freezing will not necessarily "kill" the worm eggs.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

I am not sure but i think dogs can not get trichinosis. People and rats do but don't think dogs do. My dog will not eat pork. Beef, chicken, and lamb it eats fine, just won't eat pork.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

dogs can get trichinosis, but there has not been a case of trichinosis in the US (except for immigrants who came here with it) since like the 1930's

8. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I found this: Trichinosis has been a reportable disease since 1966. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) surveillance system has data as far back as 1947 demonstrating a significant decrease in cases from a peak of nearly 500 in 1948 to averages of fewer than 50 over the past several years (Roy, 2003).

so, while it is unusual to find the disease in the US today, it is still around and being reported.