Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I found a guy about 5 hours from me selling all of his stock due to divorce. He has a 3 yr old and her yearling doe, they are Reg La Moncha's which I have been having a hard time finding anywhere near my area. The price is right for me. The problem is they have not been vaccinated nor been tested. They are "holistic" dairy goat folks. This makes me nervous. He has agreed to have a vet do whatever i want done at my expense.If there is a problem I will lose the cost of the vet, but won't be sticking my neck out on sick animals. The price is very right..250.00 for the 2. And they are very cute.
What is the best plan of action here? What tests do you consider necessary and what should these does be vaccinated for? After reading the forum I am confused...seems there is some differing opinions on testing. Obviously we wont be getting any false positives over over vaccinating etc...right? I am not rich, but would prefer to lose up front as to fall in love and then have problems. What would be a re:bouncy:asonable cost for this vet care? and is it nec to test the yearling if I test the momma? thanks for any help on this

·
Registered
462 Posts
Usually if they been together you only have to test one, thats what I do.
for a fecal- $22
tb test- 6
caev test-52
brucelliesis test- 17
pysical exam-45
total-142
I live in Ct we tend to be more expensive , but that came right off my invoice when I bought my goats.
I didn't have my goats cl tested and I should have.. The vets didn't do that one and I would have to send it myself, but I got her from a reputable breeder. either way I should have. Good luck and enjoy those goats!

·
Registered
599 Posts
You test both! Testing only one is asking for trouble regardless of them being together (only one may be symptomatic for Johnes, etc). That is why you ask for WHOLE HERD TEST results.
Vet costs are going to be completely different depending on where you are at. My vet costs are half what my friends costs are in the other corner of the state.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I think the best and most economical approach would be to draw blood on them, if you take them to the vet it should be about $5 each, and send the samples to the lab yourself. CAE tests are $4 each.http://www.biotracking.com/laboratory.php# If you go to the site and click on the 'To send samples' tab at the top of the page it will explain everything. They are really nice people if you have any questions just give them a call.

If you see or feel any lumps or scars on the goats you might want to test them for CAE and CL, if so send the blood samples to http://www.pavlab.com/services/index.html The cost for the tests will be $11 per goat. After you get the results back and they are negitive you can vaccinate them with 2cc each CD&T and booster them two weeks after the first shot. You can buy CD&T many places. I use,
http://www.jefferspet.com/product/barvac-cdt-24233.cfm Or you just buy it from your vet.

Good luck!!
Christy

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Johnnes isn't even a reliable test in cattle, let alone goats. It's also a very long test results not back instantly than mean anything.

Take someone with you that can pull blood out of the jugular, surely you have a friend who has livestock, goats, or a nurse type friend. Pull blood send it to biotracking for CAE and do a visual on the goats for CL.

TB....do you know of one person who has tested one goat who is positive for TB. Or if positive wasn't proven to be error later on? I have tested 100's of broker goats for export and not one has tested positive for TB. Unless you are in a TB state do not waste your money.

What area are you in. It would be soo much better to take a local goat mentor with you, not only to pull blood but to do the exam for you, than a vet who is not going to be comfortable going to someone elses farm and critiquing goats that don't belong to you in front of the seller. I would bet if you don't have a realtionship with a vet you wouldn't even get a local one to go with you unless it is their vet...and most folks don't have vets.

CAE, and make sure they are the owners of the goats and all paperwork is done...don't leave without the paperwork. Vicki

1 - 6 of 6 Posts