Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My question is for what ?......and why a block one ?

·
Premium Member
18,104 Posts
I have built two chimneys using chimney block and clay flue.

Reactions: shawnlee

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I meant to type I have a couple of questions. It's block because that's what's being used in the project. Do you have any experience in building chimneys?
Just tearing them out or updating them to a more modern design,....that's why I was asking. If that's what`s there or partially done, then it is what it is, no updating it. A lot of times people will build with certain features when they are not needed for the more modern things, such as water heaters and heaters which use PVC for a flue they are soo efficient, or the newer wood gas reburning stoves which do not need the traditional chimney of masonry.

If we knew the question, some of the construction of a masonry chimney spills over into other construction fields such as roofing for the flashing....concrete work for the foundation/base and carpentry for some of the framing around it and some aspects are basic bricklayer/block layer work......and of course some of it is chimney/flue builder specific.

·
Banned
3,303 Posts
Is it wiggly or Is it just me? Snap chalk lines on the wall and follow them up. Did you put in your tiles as you went up? What do you want to know?

·
Super Moderator
40,780 Posts
I've built several block chimneys over the years. I suggest starting at the bottom and working your way up.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Like cabin fever said, use chimney blocks and flues. Use a long level to keep it vertical, a short one to keep it horizontal.

COWS

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Ok on Flues I got away from Block went to Triple Wall Flue Pipe and done well, much easier and for me worked better.

But this is your project and you have your reasons.

big rockpile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts