Question on breed choices

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Terry W, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Okay, here goes...

Locally, people are really getting into Boer goats, but I am into "rare" breeds. At several Boer health seminars, the presenters always mention having the Spanish goat as a cross at F1, then taking those kids and breeding back to another Boer, to get higher percentage crosses.

The Spanish and Oberhasli are on ALBCs list-- so I was thinking, as far as meat goats go, I would choose Spanish for my meat goat breed. I would also have Oberhasli as my Milk Goat breed. I have found a fairly 'local' breeder of Oberhaslis, but haven't seen anyone around with Spanish. Are they that hard to come by? Are the Boers being used to breed them out of existence? Are the Spanish inferior in their mothering ability? Is there some reason, other than carcass size, to eliminate the Spanish as a choice?

I already have a Barbados Blackbelly Ram-- quite an experience as far as sheep go--and certainly less common than the katahdins that are starting to show up--

Now, as far as fiber, would I be interested in Cashmere? And what breed of goat is used to make chamois? Anyone know?

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I know nothing about the other stuff but I put in a big vote for the Oberhaslis. I had them for years! Great goats, hardly had any problems with parasites or sickness!

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I asked about Spanish goats on here, or maybe another forum. I have never, ever seen one. I think they are mostly a texas/arizona thing. I breed my boers to dairy X's, alpine and nubians. Obers would be a nice cross with a boer. My xbred meat babies grow faster than my pb boers. The xbred dairy/boer does are good mothers.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

As for the blackbelly sheep, they're all over the place here. Of course, the first time I saw one I said "what the heck kind of goat is that?"

5. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I could be mistaken, but I thought that "Spanish" was a term used for "mongrel goats of unknown origin." If there are any herds of "pure" Spanish, then ALBC should be able to give you names of people who have them.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I think there are some *true* spanish goats....but they are hard to find. Most "spanish" that I have seen are simply labeled Spanish because no one knew what they really were.... :rolleyes:
    Now, why don't you cross your Boer buck on a couple of your biggest Oberhasli's that you are getting?? I had several Boer/Oberhasli's up until my last herd cut and they were awesome does. Here they are:

50/50% Boer/Oberhasli

[​IMG]

75%Boer/25% Oberhasli(above does kids)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wouldn't hesitate to make the cross. My favorite Boer crosses are on dairy breeds!

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Emily, I LOVE the picture of the babies in the bucket. How adorable.

8. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I only have Saanen and Nubian crosses..but after seeing Emily's .. I certainly would not be afraid to make that cross!

Nice looking goats Emily!!

9. Terry W

trhere ar emany different "blackbelly" sheep-- the barbados Blackbelly-- which i want to help preserve, is the foundation behind the rest of them....AND, they are polled!!!

10. Terry W

The Spanish is on ALBCs list-- soi will contact them-- I am a member.. If I have to get a true Spanish shipped in from a southern state, I will-- just looking for info on their habits, etc.. I want to preserve minor or rare breeds, and I can do that without buying into the whole boer goat thing-- there are too many Boer people out here-- i want to have something a little different as far as meat breed. now I do like those Oberhasli x Boer pics-- but you have to understand-- I am "different"-- I like to always be a little "off" the beaten path.. It works very well for me!!!

11. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know where to find Spanish goats, but
    if rare breeds interest you and you're into fiber, try looking at Karakul sheep. I had a small flock of 16 in Alberta. Beautiful lambs, good mothers. Hides are used for caps and coats.