Question on bred doe...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nicagurl, Apr 30, 2005.

1. nicagurl

nicagurl Member

I had a buck out here to breed Nica. He was here from Feb. To March something...

Do you think my doe is bred? I havent seen her in heat but of course when she is with the other goats and she comes into heat you can tell and if shes by herself then she bleat alot when she comes into heat.

Crown who was banded but didn't get everything so he acts like a little buck.Anyways...

When Nica pees he'll come up and smell her pee and her rear. But then walks on. I'm confused on that. Is that a hint that she is or isn't bred possibly?

Thanks for any info.

2. CaliannG

CaliannG She who waits.... Supporter

Okay, firstly, my experience is with wild, mountain goats and NOT domesticated stock. Please completely skip this if this is a problem.

Firstly, you are in Indiania, according to your limited profile. Your goats should have been bred last winter for a spring kidding. Goats tend to be particular about that and kinda want to breed in fall or winter.

From knowledge of wild goats, it could tell me two things:

A) Your goat is already bred or
    B) Your goat is not in season.

Urine is how goats tell each other the time is right. Having urine ignored is generally a sign of one of the two.

Domesticated goats can have weird seasons and many breed at any time, with estrus coming every few months. However, from what I know of those cycles, their strongest estrus still comes in fall or winter.

If you wish to breed in spring for a fall kid, you may have a difficulty. I would suggest one of the following:

1) Just wait and see if she kids or
    2) Quite trying to breed her and wait for fall or winter if she is open.

Just my 2 cents worth and I am NOT posting as an expert. Any experience I have is with wild goats that ONLY breed in fall and winter. I could, most easily, be wrong with domestic stock.

Peace,
    Caliann

3. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

In addition to the other post...Goats tend to breed when the temperature outside is cooler. You should not be too hot in weather right now to be able to get another good breeding session in.

Last fall when the goats were bred, the buck would smell(and lap up) some of the does urine. I was concerned also that they weren't bred or weren't pregnant. That was thrown out the window when they obviously were pregnant.

Bucks do strange things....gross things...it's just the nature of the beast.

Then we had one girl that was the buck's best friend...she never got pregnant.

4. Ksar

Ksar Member

Hi NicaGurl
    A doe comes in heat every 18 to 23 days, now some do this year round as those in the lower US (FL, mine are year round), your seasonal breeders would be those that are in colder climates or certain breeds as with the wild ones. I would think IN is warm enough to have a doe cycle year round, if NOT bred. Though due to the snow, breeders will plan for a spring and fall kidding season. I try to have kids born every 2 to 3 months and with increasing of does hope to have monthly kids.

As for the buck sniffing the pee, they will do that. It is just one of their nasty habits, a buck as young as 3 days old will do this. Females will too. They will also turn up their top lip. By the time they are 1 yr they are usually washing their face in their own pee, and trying to spray you! Thats most of the STINK a billy gets, is from his face washing. Have vineger handy it takes the smell off you, if you have to touch him. Theres a chance that Crown could breed but if "leftovers" are very tight to the body, there maybe to much heat to make viable sperm. As for acting like a buck, I have never dealt with a wether.

If Nica is pregnant you can expect kid(s) in July/August. She may not show much bagging up till very near time to kid. Its very hard to determine if a goat is preg. as the time passes you may get to see a breif hoof bump out from her right side(looking from behind) other side is the rumen and yes it moves. You should learn how to feel for the tail ligaments, its a good way to be ready for the impending delivery.

Ksar

5. nicagurl

nicagurl Member

The buck came to our house In Feb.2005 beginning, and left end of March 2005.