Question on Blood Discharge & Strange Behavior

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatladie, Dec 30, 2005.

1. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

Hi - Rose who is due to kid March 4th is acting a little off and I noticed that she was peeing a dark color and then straining some, then we saw her "pee" - it was bloody and clear, sticky stretchy some just hanging there... then a few minutes later she started licking it up off the stall floor, really intent on doing it, and just kept licking it up till it was gone

Any ideas?

I am going to get a temp....

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

To me, & maybe someone else can chime in, it sounds like she's aborting her pregnancy.

If she's not due until March, it sounds like birth fluids that she's passing. That would be why she's so intent on cleaning them up.

I know my girls clean up after a birth, so they'd do the same, even if they were aborting, I'd wager.

Tricia

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sorry, I think that she is aborting, we have a doe that had a miscarriage just a few days go and that is EXACTLY what she was doing, and then we foound the dead not fully formed baby. Sorry, bye.

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I agree. You might take a look around and see if you can find a fetus or a blob of goo (if it had been partially absorbed it might not be a discernable body). If you can obtain any of the tissue you might could have it tested for chlamydia or Toxoplasmosis or some of the other things that can cause abortion in goats. Many things can cause abortion, nutrition problems, disease or even getting butted by another goat. Sorry.

5. goatladie

Well, she is pawing at the ground, looking at her rear, and releasing a little fluid every now and then, contracting some and laying down a lot - would she have these signs if she were aborting?

6. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Is there any chance she could have gotten bred soooner than you thought? She might be at full term and getting ready to kid.

7. goatladie

haven't seen any tissue, fetus, just little amounts of clear & blood every now and then...

8. goatladie

Well, I guess there is always the possibility.... just really didn't think so...

9. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like she is in labor from the discription you gave, I am wondering if maybe she did get bred a little earlier than you thought, was their any way the buck could have got her sooner?

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

My first guess too would be miscarriage or perhaps something wrong with the pregnancy. I'm not equipped beyond abortion to comment really. But it doesn't sound normal.

11. goatladie

Well, they are goats - where there is a will, there WILL be a way... I just didn't think they got together early, my husband wondered the same you did, that our cute boy got ahold of Rose early. I guess time will tell.

12. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

How long has she been doing this? It sounds a lot like late stage labor. I'd keep a very close eye on her, as she may need your help.

13. goatladie

bout 2 pm today she started dripping some, then laying down around 3-4 till n ow, now it's eery so often while she is resting, she gets up paws, lays down and will push contract a little - she seems mostly content, not too stressed though

14. goatladie

Well, I don't know, discouraged, thinking it is probably her miscarrying b/c she is still laying down and contracting but she is passing blood, some is a little clotty - so I don't think this could possibly be her in labor could it? Would blood come first?

15. Delinda

If she is still doing this tomorrow I think I would call a vet, she might need some help, is she passing alot of blood?

16. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Sweetie, it is TIME! You need to screw up your courage, dump some iodine all over your hand and forearm, and gently GO IN THERE and have a feel around! You don't want your goatie-girl to die, do you? Don't be scared, but be VERY concerned, and concentrate!

I just went through this, and the "hold up" was a back-wards buckling tangled up with his sister. I just pushed her little head back in and grabbed his hind feet and he slid right out. BUT, if I hadn't, I would've lost BOTH kids and possibly momma!

BE Brave! You CAN do this!

Praying for you, -Jill

17. goatladie

But she is hardly dialated?! Maybe an inch opening - I should go in?

18. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

How do you know her dialation?? Have you already slipped some fingers in? The OUTSIDE of her vagina will NOT "open" until there is a baby there pushing it. And if something is wrong with the position of the baby, YOU need to reach in there to find out what it is.

You won't be able to feel the cervix until most of your hand is in there, and, if she's not yet dilated, that's OK....at least you know.

19. goatladie

key, gotcha - we are going to check now....

20. Delinda

I think Jill just made an excellent call-please come back and tell us what is happening.