Question on aer conditioner

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by cARRIE, Jul 9, 2005.

1. cARRIE

cARRIE Active Member

I have a 2000 ford explorer. I had an accident with it. Everthing works on it except the air condition across the front of you. The one in center, the passenger right on,and the far left one. The one up on top I think it's the defrost one. the rear one works.I didn't bring it back to the people because didn't like their attitudes and it was far away. I was thinking can it be a fuse. I just thought maybe someone would know here. Thanks

2. cARRIE

cARRIE Active Member

The defroster one does work. When I move knob around to check to see if things change everything stays on except the ones across from in front of you. I'm just trying to see if someone can help and giving more info. thanks

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Sounds to me as if you have a vacuum line pinched and the "doors" on the AC ducting are vacuum actuated and are not functioning to direct the air to the area you desire. A vacum line that is broken or disconnected would give the same symptom but the engine usually will idle rough due to the leak.

4. cARRIE

cARRIE Active Member

If this is true and they're pinched. Are these hard to fix and get at.. I want to take it to the garage but don't want to be taken either. I know it's hard to give answers without looking at it yourself. It was hit on the passengers side and when they fixed it. It now does this. Thanks

5. agmantoo

Return the vehicle to where it was repaired. Call the insurance company first and have them to alert the repair facility that a problem from the accident remains. The repair facility has these type of occurence all too often and they know they overlooked the problem at the time of repair. It should not cost you to have this fixed.

6. cARRIE

cARRIE Active Member

I refuse to take it back to them... The man was so nasty that I brought it back for two other things. I guess I can take it somewhere to be looked at and get a free estimate I guest it can't hurt.. I just thought maybe a fuse..thanks

7. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I am not familiar with the Explorer but here is my 2c anyway!

If a control makes a difference to only some of the outlets when it should control more then it could be that an air duct has become disconnected.

Fords have a bit of a reputation for that sort of thing around here and it requires a very supple body and a flashlight to put things right!

Someone needs to get right upside down with their head under the dash and a flashlight looking for hard plastic ducts that have become disconnected.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT SHOVE YOU HAND UP BEHIND THE DASH IF YOU ARE WEARING A WATCH, RING, OR ANY METALLIC JEWELLERY ON THAT HAND OR ARM! YOU CAN GET VERY SERIOUS BURNS IF YOU CAUSE A SHORT OF ANY HIGH CURRENT CIRCUIT. UNLIKE OLD CARS YOU OFTEN CANT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS WITHOUT RUNNING THE RISK OF NEEDING TO REPROGRAMME YOUR ENGINE MANAGEMENT COMPUTER AND/OR BODY ELECTRONICS MODULE.

8. agmantoo

Carrie,
    Do not be intimidated by the last experience. That is what the person wanted to happen so you would not return. Go back, overwhelm him with kindness and tell him his assistance last time was appreciated and when he gets this fixed you feel he will have done a job that he can have a true feeling of accomplishment! Stand your ground!

9. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

there is most likely a vacum hose that has gotten either disconnected , pinched , or broken. It should be a simple 3 minute job for someone that knows what they are looking for. If you do not wish to return to the garage that worked on your truck the first time by yourself , then by all means take someone with you that can explain to them the virtues of treating ladies with respect. I have played this role more than once. I hate garages that think just because a lady comes in there they can tell them whatever they want to and act like animals. I have had garages tell my own mother that she needed new struts on her car to get it aligned when I had just taken the struts out of the box and installed them less than a hour before she got there. I know it is not right for the places to act this way but there is no shame in you finding a beer fueled, beef fed , plowboy to go down there and explain the errors of their ways.
    cutinpony's DH

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

To pull the dash out of a vehicle is about 500$ not to mention fixing whatever needs fixing. Friend just went thru it.

mikell