Homesteading Forum banner

Question if you are over 40

2K views 54 replies 52 participants last post by  Jan Doling 
#1 ·
Lately there has been a lot of press in my little home town about raising money for the high school's "Senior Trip" this year. It seems that they want to go to France or Germany or someplace (I wasn't paying attention). I also remember hearing other places about "senior trips" or trips that the French Club was taking or etc., etc.

I asked dh about this and when he was in high school, every year the class he was in (starting when he was a Sophomore), went someplace. One year it was Quebec City, one year it was Eastern Europe, one year it was Africa.

For the life of me, I cannot remember in all the years that I went to school ever even hearing about a "senior trip" or anything like that. Now, I did not go to a small high school (the graduating class was about 600) and we were in a big city (Glendale, Arizona, which is a suburb of Phoenix). It certainly was not a disadvantaged school.

Is this traveling thing becoming more popular or something? Did you take a senior trip when you were in school? Am I missing something?

donsgal

#6 ·
High School traveling trips. I remember we went to Boys Town in Nebraska. That was about the most distant. Visited some city museums in St. Loius and some cultural stuff I really can't remember the other places off hand. Nothing overseas or foreign trips from the High School I went to.

#8 ·
Donsgal, I went to Maryvale High School in west Phoenix (perhaps you heard of it? :) )

Our senior class trip was to someplace like Magic Mountain. I don't remember any senior class trip going farther than a state over.

#9 ·
French Club went to France, ski club did several ski trips (local mountain only). No school wide (class of 1000 or so) trip.

My daughter went on an adventure week with most of her year 6 (5th grade) classmates and teachers when we lived in England. I wouldn't let her go out of country to France with her year 8 class without us though.

#11 ·
I'm 49 and we did not have senior trips in my school. The tiny school my Dad taught at in Missouri had senior trips though. Their classes were never larger than 12 students, so a trip was much easier to raise money for, and all the kids fit on one bus. Dad was the trip driver for many years and I even went on one trip with them. They went to St. Loius to see the arch that year.

#12 ·
Our Class of 81 trip was a cheap cruise in the Carribean. All money was out of our own pocket. Most couldn't go for lack of money. The ship was an old military ship converted to a cruise ship, and was a huge pile of junk.

#14 ·
OK, I'm aging myself. Graduated in '74. Our senior trip was that we skipped school, grabbed a couple of half kegs, and invaded a county park. Good time, few arrests, nothing bad. Who the heck pays for these trips? "Hi, I'm a senior, and we're touring Mongolia." Yeah, right.

#16 ·
We went two hours away to an amusement park.

Of course, we also did not spend thousands on Prom.....which is what my cousins daughter did this year. Cousin was complaining that prom only lasted 5 hours and cost $5000. My wedding didn't cost that much - honeymood included!

#17 ·
There were 121 in my graduating class of 1977. We sold magazine subscriptions to raise money for the trip and proceeds from the Senior Play also helped pay for it. What wasn't raised was paid for by the parents. I think my parents had to pay $100 for my trip (guess I should have sold a few more magazine subscriptions).

#18 ·
I remember making a trip to Springfield.Went to Mid Am watched them make Cheese. :dance: that was fun.

No we didn't have any Big Trips.

big rockpile

#19 ·
I'm 35, but our school was having senior trips long before I was a senior. We went to Washington, DC; Virginia Beach; Norfolk and Williamsburg VA. We rented a Greyhound and we were gone 6 days. Toured the White House, National Cem. Vietnam Memorial, Lincoln's Monument etc. and we went to the Smithsonian. Then we went to the National Zoo and Busch Gardens. Also saw Ford's Theater, watched 'Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat' at a dinner theater, took a dinner cruise in Norfolk etc.... Had a great time!! We raised all the money-- our meals were included except a breakfast and lunch at Busch Gardens. I took $200, but came home with over half of it...

My son went on an 8th grade trip to NYC a few years ago and next year will be going on his senior trip. Not sure where they are going yet.

Michelle

#21 ·
My senior class went to branson three girls got pregnant and one teacher devorced. they sold candy bars and other stuuf to pay for the trip . I personally opted out and went on a canoe trip with two other guys and 7 girls none of which got preggers

#22 ·
oldgaredneck said:
Class of '71 - some of us got a lovely senior trip to a little country called Vietnam.....
Yea some did,I stayed over here getting Hospital ready.Figure they knew we was pulling out by that time.

big rockpile

#24 ·
JJ Grandits said:
OK, I'm aging myself. Graduated in '74. Our senior trip was that we skipped school, grabbed a couple of half kegs, and invaded a county park. Good time, few arrests, nothing bad. Who the heck pays for these trips? "Hi, I'm a senior, and we're touring Mongolia." Yeah, right.
Ditto for the class of 81 in my home town. Got myself a ticket for "inadequate exaust" on the 67 Camaro ragtop I was driving at the time.

My kid brother in the class of 86 went to DC. My kid sister class of 90 went to NYC

I don't feel I missed anything. But, then again I spent the summer of 79 in Mexico on a missionary trip through our church.

#25 ·
I think that the smaller schools do it more so than the larger ones. In the schools that I am aware of the Senior Sneak Trips are on their way out rather than becoming more frequent.

My hometown school had Senior Sneak Trips back in the 1940s. Typically the trip was kept hush, hush and the seniors would leave town often in the wee hours of the morning and no one other than parents and school staff would know where they were and how long they would be gone.

My class planned our senior trip from the time we were in 8th grade. We wanted to take a rail tour to the New York World's Fair in 1965.

It was a real struggle to earn enough money back then for all 8 seniors and a sponsor. We teamed up with another school so that we both could have a sponsor of the opposite sex watching over students.

Our rail tour from western Kansas to New York, Washington D. C. and other points cost just over $150 PLUS the tickets we each had to pay for to get to Kansas City where the tour started.

We saw the Pentagon, legislative chambers, Arlington National Cemetery, Mt. Vernon, Whitehouse, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Smithsonian, Library of Congress, World's Fair, and many other wonderful things.

We were given a little latitude in what we saw and did. As an example some went to a baseball game while others saw something else. While at the Smithsonian I was allowed a short visit with my uncle that worked in D.C. My visiting him in his city gave us a life long bond.

Of my 7 classmates I think I am the only one that has ever visted the aforementioned places again. So, it was a once in a lifetime educational experience for many. Most had never even ridden on a train before.

Most of the classes from my hometown simply go to Colorado or to the Ozarks. Of course the school system has been closed down due to size so there will be forever more be no more trips.

In view of the current world I don't think that such trips should be taken outside of the United States. There is far too much to see of this country so why go elsewhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.