Question: honey quality

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by JerseyLightning, Aug 5, 2005.

1. JerseyLightning

JerseyLightning Well-Known Member

A friend of mine that I don't see too often has bees and was gracious enough last fall to share some honey with us. I had a one-pound jar sitting in my kitchen cabinet that I just opened a few days ago. The consistency of the honey can best be described as curdled. I know that honey won't go bad, and the taste is okay, but it is grainy. It looks like it would become rock sugar in not too much time!

I have been using it in blender drinks and would use it for cooking, so it won't go to waste. But what went wrong? Is this something in the processing when it was bottled? Is it something I should let my friend know happened, or just keep quiet?

Thanks for any replies!

Kathleen in NJ

2. rainesridgefarm

rainesridgefarm Well-Known Member

wow you got lucky your friend gave you raw honey. All raw honey that is pure will granulate in time. Just boil a quart of water take it off the heat and put the jar in it. In a hour the crystals will be gone and it will look just like you got it. The taste and quality have never changed.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes, sugar crystals will form in any honey, in time.

When you set the jar in hot water, the sugar crystals melt and the honey will all be liquid again. The honey is perfectly good to eat right now, but most folks prefer it in its fluid form.

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

The reason that raw honey crystalizes is that it still has pollen in it. The crystals have something to form around so they form faster than they do in honey that has been microfiltered (which removes pollen).

Mike

5. JerseyLightning

JerseyLightning Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! You get so used to seeing honey as syrup, it is disconcerting to see it as a solid mass like this. It tasted okay, but was just a weird consistency -- glad to know it is not an issue. Thanks for the tips on "melting" it back into syrup -- haven't done this yet, but good to know I can if I need to.

Kathleen in NJ