Question for you people that have corn or wood stoves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seanmn, Apr 29, 2006.

1. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

I keep pondering the idea of putting in a corn or a wood stove in my small 3 bedroom home with no basement to save on winter heating costs. My question is about how much more home insurance cost is tacked on because of it???

2. akcowgirl

akcowgirl Member

that depends on a lot of facters. Where you are, what insurance company you are with, and where it is installed. Some companies have discounts if your wood stove is installed buy a pro.

3. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

I'm in WV & I think the only way it raises the cost is if you live in a mobile home. I'm in a house & heat with wood & my insurance is reasonable. My BIL & SIL own a mobile home & continue to heat with electric. But, personally for the variance in rates I still think the higher insurance would cost less than heating by other means. The wood stove does create extra dust in the house tho. Have a taylor woodstove outside that we used to use & it heated the water & house by radiator. Loved it but it's too expensive to do repairs right now.

4. dale

dale Well-Known Member

our insurance allows wood heat.. but if you have it as a secondary heat source.. like if you have any gas heat you can tell them the wood is for secondary heat.. then if you meet the requirements of distance from wall and size and location of flue..
    the insurance was as cheap as anyother heat.

But that is in Missouri and in a house.

would like to have an outdoor wood furnace some day

5. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Dale, the outdoor woodstoves are the best! Even heat & no gas, electric, etc to heat up the water. Fill it up & forget it fo 24-72 hrs depending on what type wood you're burning. Nice even heat & no hot & cold spots in the house. We'd fill it up 2 maybe 3 times a week. Ours came well used with the house in 96 so it's been used & worn out long ago. We used ours for about 6 years. Although the stove is big & seems to take a good amount to fill it you can put big large chunks of wood in. Used less wood per year than a regular inside woodstove. Also, cleaner especially if your sinuses get's dried out with dust & dry heat. The newer ones are made out of cast iron I think. Anyway they aren't apt to rust. That's what's happened to our older model stove & it'd cost a good bit to fix it up now & about $6,000-$8,000 to replace it for the size we need. The newers ones are made to last. It's a magor investment. But, if you can afford it it'll make up over the years saving you money.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I had to go to 3 places to even find one that would insure me, I only have it as the bank required it. I have a hose and fire ext. and fire alarms and that will be my insurance when I get the bank paid off.

7. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Our insurance is $50 more a year heating with a freestanding woodstove.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Give a little more thought in the corn stove. The price of corn is going up this year and probably a lot more next year. With the increases in corn price it will be cheaper to go with wood.

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We have State Farm Insurance. They do not raise the cost of their homeowners premiums if you burn wood. The wood burning appliance must be UL listed and it must be installed according to code.